Chapter 17

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, our spontaneous trip to the furniture store. After coming home from dinner last night, the last thing I wanted to do was sit in the living room with Len. He had retreated to his room by the time I finally returned, but it didn't make it any better. I was still able to catch the latest episodes of my favorite shows on the brand new flat-screen that adorned the wall in my room.

The next morning, it was harder to keep myself from retreating from my safe haven. Especially when I woke up to grumbling stomach. That was one thing we had forgotten that I could have taken advantage of. A mini fridge.

Putting an ear to the door, I couldn't hear the TV blaring, so I assumed I was safe. It was still early, too, and it was rare that Len woke up before eleven. Scratch that: before noon.

Despite my confidence, I crept slowly and nervously out of my room. The living room was still dark and silent. Across the room, Len's door was shut tight.

I breathed a sigh of relief. I could cook pancakes in piece. The grumbling in my stomach was especially loud against the silence of the apartment.

Taking care not to make much noise, I pulled out the mixing bowl and pan I would need. As I shuffled through the cabinets and fridge for my ingredients, I wondered if I should tell Len I was leaving. Erik had already confirmed that my emergency trip was okay with our timing, but I hadn't told any of the Vocals yet. We had decided to leave as soon as possible, and the quickest plane we could reasonably get on was late tonight. Mom and Dad were going to spend the day packing today, along with Ia's help, and then the four of us would fly out tonight. It felt nice being able to say that I was leaving this place for a while. But, at the same time, I felt like a coward running away from this situation between Len and I.

I had to tell him. I couldn't just leave. But I also couldn't imagine speaking with him at the moment. He didn't seem interested in it, either.

Finally gathering all my necessary ingredients, I began measuring out the flour in the measure cups. As if on cue, a door opened behind me, and my heart dropped.

I didn't turn to look at him, but I heard his footsteps approach the kitchen. A stool squeaked behind me as he sat at the island. I dumped one cup of flour into the bowl. Say something, I mentally dared him. Do it.

"Using my shit now, too?"

That was it. I slammed my hands on the granite out of frustration, making all my gathered items jump slightly. I threw the used measuring cup in the sink, hurriedly and furiously put everything away, dumped the flour I had pour into the trashcan, and discarded it next to the measuring cup. It clinked against the sink, and I wondered for a short moment if I had cracked it. I didn't care enough to check. My eyes didn't meet his until everything was put away.

"Actually," I sneered, finally turning to face him. The counter behind me was spotless; no evidence I had ever been there. "I don't feel so fucking hungry anymore."

His expression was a mixture of surprise and irritation. Without waiting for his response, I slammed my bedroom door behind me. I had several hours before my flight, but I began to pack anyway.

I had much more to pack this time around. With my own duffle bags, I managed to pack one full bag and a carry-on purse. Throughout my process, I picked up the phone a few times, sending texts to everyone and letting them know I was leaving. Everyone except Len. I hadn't really gotten the chance to tell him, and I didn't want to bother. Just the thought of him made me furious.

Luka texted me back first.

-No gym tonight, then?

Despite my sour moor, I grinned.