Chapter 30

Len had succeeded in cheering me up for the night. The second I awoke, however, laying on our couch, drenched in sweat from a nightmare I could not remember, the anxiety hit me full force once more. This time, it hit even harder. Len and I were experts in crossing lines, but after what happened last night, the mere thought of losing him was enough to send me into hysterics. I couldn't even voice my concern to him, so I stared at the TV, bug-eyed, trying not to fall asleep and reenter whatever nightmare I had awoken from. Unable to see me like that, Len dragged me down to Miku and Luka's apartment a little after three. It didn't take long for the others to join us.

"What do you guys want for dinner?" Miku asked from the kitchen. Her and Luka each wore their matching aprons, ready for a grand meal. Everyone was fully informed on the situation now. As much as they tried to joke, laugh, and talk at their usual pace, nothing could be done to fix the uneasy air that hung above us all like a dark shadow.

"What do you have?" Meiko asked. She had planted herself on the floor, leaning her back against the couch where Gumi had curled up.

"We could do steak, spaghetti, cheeseburgers-"

"I'm down for a burger," I suggested. I hadn't eaten much since the events of yesterday, but, to my delight, I had finally thought of a food that seemed somewhat edible. Len and I were laying on the couch, hand-in-hand.

Soon, the room was filled with the hearty smell of cooking meat, and the sound of sizzling juices in the pan. Luka and Miku cooked together, acting more like one person than two.

"How're your parents, Rinny?" Gumi asked.

"They're good! They're finally buying a new house. After I told them for, like, weeks that they could spend the money I've been sending them, and they just wouldn't do it." My voice came out surprisingly clear.

She shook her head. "You're too nice," she joked.

"I don't have anything else to spend my money on," I replied honestly.

"Do you miss them?" Luka sounded from the kitchen. I was surprised, I didn't think she could hear our conversation over the cooking burgers.

The question hit hard. "Yeah," was all I answered. Len squeezed my hand comfortingly.

Luka sighed from the kitchen. None of us come from good families, he had told me. I wondered if they would even want to join my family for the holidays. I didn't know much about their pasts, but I wasn't interested in putting them in any uncomfortable situations.

"At least you have us!" Gumi threw her arms in the air, clearly trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah," I agreed, nodding.

"Who wants cheese?" Miku yelled over her shoulder with a flat voice.

A chorus of "I do"'s rang out in the living room. After Miku turned, took a head count, and continued her cooking, I sighed, and spoke up. "I was actually thinking about going to visit them for the holidays."

Gumi perked up. "Oh yeah? That'll be nice."

"I didn't really want to leave you guys, though-"

"Psh." Meiko waved a hand at me. "We'll be fine."

I hesitated, wondering if I was going to far. "Well... I was thinking, maybe, we could all go out there together. Unless you have other plans," I quickly added.

Luka laughed from the kitchen. "You're saying I can escape from this cold? Count me in."

"My parent would love to have you guys over for dinner. Maybe we could all go to their new house for Christmas." I waited expectantly for them to respond. Glancing at Len, he gave me a reassuring smile.