Chapter 35

Sometime, when it was still dark outside, I vaguely remember Len rising from the bed next to me, and leaning over to plant a kiss on my forehead.

I shuffled under him, giving him a smile with closed eyes. It's so nice to have him back, I remember thinking.

His hand ran through my hair, and I cooed contentedly, before rolling back over, and falling back asleep with a smile on my face.

When I woke up, he was gone.

It took me a moment to remember. It's crazy how easy it was to fall back into the way things used to be. It had taken me weeks to get used to sleeping alone. After one night of him sneaking to me house, it would probably take me another few weeks to get over it once more.

I sat up, rubbing my eyes, and eyeing the empty spot next to me. In my tired state, a small thought suggested that he was just in the kitchen. The bathroom. He's still here.

He wasn't. I knew it. But I didn't want to believe it.

With the blanket on my lap, I folded my hands together, and sighed. He was gone. He couldn't risk Kanon waking up to find him gone. It'd raise too many suspicions.

Maybe this is how it will be from now on, I thought. I imagined a scenario where he continued with his new life, Kanon his business partner instead of me, frequently sneaking away to see me. Eventually, I bet Tatsuo would find out. And he probably wouldn't care. I'm out of the picture, anyway.

The thought disgusted me, honestly. Being left alone here, the only thing to look forward to being Len's random visits. I deserved a life better than that. I did.

I threw the blankets off of my legs, rising from the bed. This was no time to sulk. Like Gumi had said, I needed to find something. There had to be proof in here. They weren't smart enough to cover all of their tracks.

My thoughts hovered over the binder in my bag, causing me to frown. I had already looked through it. Though I was sure these songs weren't theirs, I had no proof. It just looked like a normal song binder.

I decided to search the living room first, trying to find anything Erik and I had missed. Shuffling through the drawers, looking for any notes or clues. They were all empty. I looked under the bed and found nothing but dust bunnies. There were no computers for me to check. Behind the TV, nothing. In the drawer of the TV stand was a Bible. I laughed, unable to help it. I flipped through the pages quickly. There was nothing. I put it back.

Every drawer in the kitchen. I searched them up and down. Even the fridge. It was a long shot, so I wasn't surprised when it came out clean. The bathroom. No notes in the mirror, nothing in the drawers.

If I were a demon girl, I thought. Where would I hide my evil weapons?

There was only one more place to check, anyway. And I had been dreading it. If I slipped, I could kill myself on some of the sharp stuff in the bedroom, but I figured it was worth the risk. Stepping carefully. I looked into the room.

You should at least try to find something before aimlessly wandering through splintered wood, I reasoned. My eyes scanned the room, searching for anything of interest. I found none.

How about, I thought. Anything that you and Erik did not put in here. Go check it out.

I sighed, and began taking steps into the jungle of a room. As long as I stayed with my back against the wall, I could could to the closet fairly easily. It was small. Certainly no walk-in like mine. There were a few boxes in there that I did not remember seeing, but upon closer inspection, they seemed to be nothing more than discarded clothes of the twins. Throwing them around me, I found the pockets were all empty. God, they're so ugly. Whether it was my anger towards them, or the fact that these clothes were the worst shades of color I had ever seen, I couldn't see myself wearing these even if someone offered to pay me.