PROLOGUE.

"almost there," he trailed off, the tip of his tongue poking out from the corner of his mouth due to his immense amount of concentration, "perfect!"

after letting go, he watched the arrow soar through the clouds as it made its descent from the heavens to earth. his eyes eagerly awaited to see pink, the color of success, at the top of his bow, but was left disappointed when he saw black once again.

"ah, man, another failed shot?"

"that's your fifth one in just this week," the feminine voice startled him, causing the younger to flip around quickly, "and it's only tuesday."

"ah, madame aphrodite," he bowed quickly, slowly rising back up with a sheepish expression, "how long were you there?"

"long enough to see that you've broken your promise."

"i'm sorry, i just got too eager and missed! i promise it won't—"

aphrodite shushed the young man, tsking as she walked a half circle around him, "i thought you would be as good as your father, but i see you've turned out more like your grandfather instead." before he could ask for elaboration, she shook her head as she looked off into the clouds, a look of anguish on her beautiful features, "he was the worst cupid the heavens had ever seen."

with his ego now in pieces, the boy let his head fall down, his hand rubbing at the back of his neck awkwardly.

"i was just going to give your job to your younger brother, but i'm going to give you another chance," his hopeful gaze met her's as she turned around, "perhaps the reason for your failure in this job is due to you being out of touch with your mortal side. i mean, you are half human, correct?" he nodded, hoping the more he agreed with her, the faster she'd get to the point. "you shall go down to earth, and experience love first hand."

"but—"

"only when you've felt what it's like to love someone, and to be loved by someone, will you be allowed to return," her stern gaze caused the boy to freeze in his footsteps, his heart beating quickly in his chest, "you will leave tonight, so bring only your necessities, understood?"

with a gulp, he nodded, "understood."