sixteen.

"so, where to first?" soobin asked, pulling his jean jacket a bit tighter around himself when a cold wind brushed by the two.

"well, i need to pick up some ingredients for my grandmother's birthday cake, so let's go to the shopping market first." the taller of the two nodded, then followed after yumi, who walked down the sidewalk with a bounce in her step.

catching up to her, soobin nudged yumi's shoulder while smirking down at her, "what's got you in such a good mood?"

"i'm going home for the first time in a little over a year," she smiled, her eyes twinkling at the fact that she'd get to see her family whom she missed a lot, "and, since it's my grandmother's birthday, most of my family members will be there to celebrate."

soobin smiled at her enthusiasm. it must be nice to enjoy being around your family members, he thought to himself as he followed behind the shorter girl.

it didn't take long for the two to get everything they needed from the store, and not too long after finishing, they decided to kill time by wandering down the streets near their apartment.

yumi found herself glancing at soobin as they walked, not realizing that in the moments where she wasn't looking, he was doing the same. slowly, she looked up at him again, only to see him looking back down at her. they held eye contact for a second, before yumi tore her gaze away.

soobin began to talk after clearing his throat, "how about we play a game?"

"a game?" yumi rose a brow, "what game?"

"let's play tag!"

"tag?" she chuckled, shaking her head, "we're almost 20. isn't it a bit weird to play tag at our age?"

soobin nodded, agreeing with her, "point proven. but isn't it okay to enjoy the things that we enjoyed as kids every now and then?"

sighing, yumi eventually gave into his puppy dog eyes, "ah, fine."

"you're it!" he immediately sprinted off, leaving yumi in shock. she laughed, running to catch up with him.

dodging a few people, yumi managed to catch up to soobin, and jabbed her finger into his arm, "you're it!" she yelled, ignoring the confused and annoyed stares of the people around her. turning to run from soobin, yumi had the largest smile on her face. she realized, in that moment where she felt like a kid, she was the happiest she had been in a long time.

soobin laughed loudly, running after the short girl. she giggled in excitement when she realized she was being chased again. but soobin's smile slowly fell as her giggle rung in his ears. why does it sound so familiar? 

he stopped running, his feet frozen to the ground as he stared after yumi, who's short, black hair waved as she ran. it didn't take her long, however, to realize that soobin had stopped.

as she slowly turned her head to look back at him, soobin felt his heart begin to race. it was like he was switching between his dreams and reality as the moment he would see her face came closer and closer. finally, she turned to look at him, their eyes meeting. and in that moment, an almost purifying feeling came over soobin. shaking his head, he blinked.

the spell of the arrow had worn off.

"soobin?" she asked, walking closer, "are you okay?" he continued to stare at her, his eyebrows furrowed in worry. yumi raised a hand to his forehead, "can cupid even catch a fever?"

"it's you.." he mumbled, his eyes never moving from yumi, "it's you!" he suddenly yelled, causing yumi to jump.

confused, yumi looked around at the people passing them who were shocked by his outburst, before looking back up at him, "what's me?"

"the girl.. f-from my dream!" he began to pace, his excitement from this realization being almost too much to handle, "i think i was meant to meet you. i think, no- i can feel it. i can feel that you're the one."

yumi only blinked, still staring at him in confusion, "can you be more straightforward? i'm not understanding."

"i'm in love with you, yumi," he grinned, his eyes turning to crescents and his dimples making themselves known, "for real, this time. no cupid's arrow involved."

she continued to stare, but she was no longer confused; she was far from it, actually.

"you don't have to answer me now, but at least think it over before giving me an answer," looking down at his watch, he snapped his fingers as an idea came to him, "okay, i've got to go pick something up, but i'll meet you back at the apartment in an hour. okay?"

yumi only nodded, still staring after him as he ran down the sidewalk. i'm scared, soobin. looking down at the bags she was carrying, she began to walk the short distance to their apartment. i'm scared that if you choose to love me, then you'll never go home. 

i can't love you back, soobin. i'm incapable of it. i wish you would find someone else.

-

wow we only have a few chapters left before the end :(