twenty.

one year later.

opening her eyes, yumi sighed softly. she had had yet another dream of that dreadful day. she had the dream on many occasions; yet each time she opened her eyes to hopefully see him in front of her, he was never there.

climbing out of bed, she began to prepare herself for yet another long day of putting on a facade and fooling everyone but herself. as she walked into the hallway, yumi turned her head to see the door to the other bedroom open just slightly.

knitting her eyebrows together in confusion, as she hadn't been in that room in ages, she shrugged it off and went into the bathroom.

it didn't take long for her to get ready, her mid-length hair loosely braided and her makeup applied normally. however, when she was getting dressed, she couldn't help but feel like she should dress up a bit.

smiling at her outfit in the mirror, she felt pretty for once.

"pretty."

she thought about all the times he would tell her that, which only caused her frown to return once again.

without a second glance, yumi left the apartment and made her way to school.

➴➶➴

"are you ready to go?" wooyoung asked, as yumi walked from behind the counter of the cafe.

she nodded, smiling up at him, "yep!"

"you look nice," he complimented, gesturing to her jean skirt and creme-colored sweater, "what's the special occasion?"

yumi only shrugged, pushing open the door of the cafe, "i just felt like dressing up today."

the two walked along, joking and pushing one another like they normally did. but suddenly, as they passed yumi's apartment building, she remembered, "ah, i left my debit card in my apartment this morning!"

"how do you forget something like that?" wooyoung questioned, before waving her off, "don't worry about it, i'll pay for you."

she shook her head, "i'm paying this time!" the two had a stare-off, both of their stubborness and pride too strong to let themselves back down. smirking, yumi rose her hand up, and began to say, "you're the loser if you blink, one, two, three!" she snapped her fingers in front of his eyes, causing him to blink. "aha!"

"fine, go get it."

"i'll be five minutes max!"

yumi ran into her apartment building, and into the elevator that opened as some people filed out. she quickly pressed the button, the doors closing. sighing softly, she dropped the happy act that she put up whenever she was around people.

it wasn't that she was feeling unhappy; the problem lied in the fact that she didn't feel anything. for the last year, yumi only felt numb. like her life was put on pause, as if she was waiting.

well, she was waiting. she had been waiting, for a year. for what, you could probably guess. and she refused to lose hope, though the chances of him making a return were quite low.