four.

"wait, so you're telling me a family friend is now living in your apartment with you— and not just any friend, but a guy friend?"

yumi sat across from her long time best friend, jung wooyoung, who was trying his best to make sense of everything she had just told him.

"yup," she replied, taking a sip of the hot chocolate that was in her coffee mug.

"why— i mean, you told me why, but i just can't understand why it has to be your place that he's staying at."

"he just needs somewhere to stay until he finishes his- uh, his experiment. he's a science major," yumi grinned contentedly, surprised that she was able to cover her almost-slip up that quickly.

wooyoung sighed, his frown growing deeper. how could someone who's just barely come into the picture already be so much closer to her than i am?

"what's the frown for?" he shrugged, which in turn caused yumi to shrug, "i can't help if you don't tell me," she reminded in a sing-song voice.

shaking his head, wooyoung finished the rest of his cappuccino in a gulp, opening his mouth to reply once the warm drink had been swallowed, "it's not important," yumi watched him stand up and throw his school bag over his shoulder, "i'll see you later."

her eyes followed his figure as he quickly left the small cafe she worked at. with a sigh, she let her head fall into her hands. yumi knew why wooyoung was sad, and she knew it was because of her. it was always because of her.

"yumi, could you cover me at the register, please?" ami, yumi's coworker, pleaded while rubbing her hands together.

looking down at her phone, yumi saw that she still had five minutes left of her break. but when she looked back up at ami's puppy dog eyes, she agreed.

"thank you, thank you, thank you," the younger girl wrapped her arms around the older, "i could kiss you."

grimacing, yumi separated herself from the eccentric girl, "please don't." she continued to watch ami as she removed her apron and ran out of the cafe. not moments after exiting the doors, she jumped into a boys arms, the boy immediately moving to swing her around.

"kai!" she could hear the girl yell happily, even from inside the store.

rolling her eyes, yumi faked a gag, "young love," she grabbed the empty mugs off the table, beginning to take them to the kitchen in the back, "it's all a scam."

in her own world, yumi hadn't even noticed that someone had entered the cafe, and was sitting at the cash register until she turned around.

"what's a scam?" soobin asked, tilting his head curiously.

jumping in fright, yumi placed a hand over her racing heart, "jesus, don't do that!"

"sorry," he shrugged, before pointing up at the menu, "can you get me one of those coffee thingies? oh, and that!" he pointed at the picture of bread at the corner of the menu on the wall behind her, "that looks great."

"do you have the money to pay for these things?" yumi asked, already preparing his drink.

soobin pulled out a 100,000 won bill, setting it on the counter, "is this enough?"

with her eyes bulging out of her head, yumi lifted the bill up to the light just to make sure it was real, "holy— why are you carrying money like this around?"

"my boss gave it to me, and said i should expect more where it came from," soobin explained, as yumi handed him a bun in a package, plus his cup of coffee. opening up the packaging, he immediately bit into the soft bun, "this," he held it up in the air, "is magical! we don't have anything like it in the heavens. what's it called?"

"it's called bread," yumi shook her head, looking around at the people who were looking over at soobin due to how loud he was. "lower your voice please."

"it's not my fault that all we eat up there is ambrosia. and let me tell you, that stuff can get real old, real quick," he sighed, taking another bite of his bun, "can i get a few more of these?"

➴➶➴

soobin happily entered the apartment, throwing off his jacket, kicking off his shoes, and flopping onto the couch. a content sigh slowly left him, as he reached for the remote to turn on the tv. not moments after he had gotten comfortable, an irritated yumi bursted through the door, at least three bags of groceries in her hands.

"you couldn't have taken at least one bag? i mean, half of these are yours!" she pointed at the ones that were full of different types of bread.

"sorry, no can do. my boss said not to do anything that can hurt this pretty face."

grumbling, yumi began to put away the groceries, "keep acting like this, and i'll be the one hurting your face."

"what was that?" soobin asked, sitting up.

"nothing. just keep on watching your shows," yumi rolled her eyes when he shrugged, putting the last couple things away. grabbing a glass from the cupboard, yumi poured herself some water, and before taking a drink she asked, "what exactly is your mission? you never told me."

"oh, that," soobin then went on to nonchalantly reply, "i have to fall in love with a girl so aphrodite will let me be cupid again."

eyes going wide, yumi began to cough up the water she just drank, as she looked over at soobin like he was insane. "how long do you think falling in love takes?"

"it can't be that hard. i'll probably just shoot a girl with my arrow, be the first one she looks at, and boom!" for emphasis, soobin raised his hand to snap loudly while looking over at yumi, "instant love."

yumi let out a chuckle, "good luck with that then."

opening his palm, soobin watched as his bow appeared, "maybe we'll find someone tomorrow," he nodded, an assured grin on his lips, "yeah, tomorrow is the day."