18: Blurred Lines

PG... 17... and a half?

It was late in the afternoon, almost evening time, and Fiona was walking side by side with Adam, feeling nervous butterflies in her stomach as they neared the building up front.

With her mom's permission, Fiona had come with Adam after a full day of dancing, now heading towards his gram's friend's nursing home to help teach dancing. Some of the other nuns who had retired from the nunnery where Adam had grown up lived there and that's why they so often visited. They were as much a part of Adam's family as the DanceDec was.

Fiona found it almost ironic. For a boy who was an orphan, he had more family than she had. She guessed he had found the family he had always wanted.

"Come on," Adam smiled down at her when she took a deep breath as they walked in through the doors. They were meeting up with his grams who had already gotten there earlier while they were still dancing at the DanceDec. She spent most of her days here with her friends, playing cards and having fun while Adam was out handling the grind.

Fiona smiled back up at him and let Adam take the lead as they walked up to the sign-in counter. The receptionist of course smiled brightly when she saw Adam, and Adam happily introduced Fiona. Fiona felt herself blush, but only because he introduced her as his girlfriend.

Girlfriend.

"It's right down here," He then said, after they had signed in and greeted a few more nurses in the hallway. He led her down another hallway, towards what seemed to lead to a larger, open space. A make-due living room.

"So how does it normally work?" Fiona hesitantly asked. She had never done something like this, and she wasn't quite so sure what they were supposed to do. What she was supposed to do.

Adam grinned a little. "Just follow my lead, tutu."

Grabbing her hand, he then burst into the large living room that was full of seniors sitting around, watching television, talking to each other, knitting, or half-sleeping in their various couches and chairs.

"Alright, everybody get up!" Adam shouted with a wide grin, and Fiona watched as all of the seniors faces instantly looked up and brightened at his arrival. Adam walked into the centre of the room and started pulling all of the crafting tables out to the side of the room and stuffing them away in corners like it was all pure routine – which of course it had to be. "Goddamn, it's like a funeral in here! I see a lot of handsome, sexy people sitting around on their asses and I wanna see you up on this dance floor, guys! Come on!"

Several of the elderly people laughed and started getting up from their chairs, Adam walking around and helping a few of them. There were a few nurses as well, Fiona realized, when she saw a few men and women in scrubs help the ones lying in the couches get up as well or rolling the ones in wheelchairs more to the centre.

"I hope you don't mind, I brought a little assistant to help me today," Adam then announced as he made it back to the centre where Fiona was still shyly standing. "This is Fiona, everyone!"

He gestured towards her with a big smile, and she blushed and nervously waved into the room as all the eyes turned to her. Almost all of them smiled back with a kind look.

"She's gonna help us out with a few steps tonight, but fair warning, gentlemen," He chuckled and walked up to Fiona, wrapping his arm around her. He gently kissed her cheek. "She's taken."