24: You Are The Reason

Adam had stayed with Fiona and helped her rehearse her routine for another hour before they decided to head back to his place. Since he was still healing from his injuries, he tired quickly and needed to lie down.

But they also needed to talk.

"I never got an anklet," Adam had told. Fiona knew the shortened version of how he got behind bars, but to make the decision about whether or not to go to the cops, she needed the full one – with all of the details.

"What...?" She whispered, watching him close his eyes tiredly and press his lips together.

"After I got cleared for probation. I got a five-year sentence and only served about 3-4 months in the actual slammer. I got out on 'good behavior' and with my grams' support and promise to look after me. My deal was to have weekly meetings with my P.O, land good grades in school and stay away from all of my old gang friends. That's why the DanceDec happened.

"But when I got released into my grams' custody, they didn't put an anklet on me. Not even for the first year," Adam opened his eyes and stared into his room. Fiona saw the pain in his eyes as he then shook his head and sighed. "I got caught with drugs, muling them around town, and they gave me a weak-ass sentence, Fiona. And I took it."

Fiona was silent for a moment, trying to reason with his words. Even if... even if a part of her tore apart.

"You were just a kid," She finally said and swallowed hard, reaching for his good hand when it started shaking. "You were scared."

"We all were," Adam objected. "We were all fucking scared in there, Fee, it doesn't excuse that I let myself be coddled. I should've served my sentence and not... let them give me all those chances. They beat me up because I rightfully deserved it, Fee. They hate me because they should. Shit... I'm so sorry."

Fiona furrowed her brows and pressed her lips together when he cupped his face and started shaking with tears. The pain in his voice was hurting her heart so much... but what hurt even more was that he thought he deserved to get beaten up for his poor choices.

"Adam," She carefully spoke, clenching his hand. "No matter what happened in the past, you didn't deserve this. They shouldn't have beat you up, that's not justice. That's not how we fight white privilege. You might've done something bad, but it was the system that failed in the end."

Everything in this situation spoke to what was wrong in the world; Adam had done something wrong, and yet the system had barely punished him compared to what his old friends had done. All on the basis of their skin. The system was faulty, and that's why Fiona hated the situation; she hated that she knew why they were angry at him, but also hated that if they reported what they had done, they wouldn't just receive a slap on the wrist like Adam had gotten. They would get much worse.

"I just don't want to stir up anymore problems," Adam finally said, taking in a deep, trembling breath. He shut his eyes and let his head rest back against his pillows. "They beat me up, they evened out the scales. If I call on them now, it'll only provoke them again."

Fiona bit her lip, resenting how complicated the situation was. There was no justice in any of this, but perhaps he was right... perhaps it was best just to leave it for now and let the fire die out. But...

"If they ever hurt you again, though," She whispered fiercely, shutting her eyes. She couldn't believe this was what it had to be, but she sure as hell wouldn't let them get away with it twice. "If they ever come at you again or anyone we know, then we go to the cops, okay? I'm not gonna let them control your life over one stupid mistake you made."