1. Prologue

The sounds of a sword exchange echoed in the city of Redgrave. Dante and Vergil were fighting in par, pushing each other to the edge. Vergil pushed his sword, aiming his brother's head. Dante evaded his attack by inch, grazing his cheek in progress. Before he counterattacked, a bunch of demons emerged from the ground.

"Not again! I am really getting tired of this shit!"

Dante changed to Cavalier and moved swiftly to slay a few Hell Antenora and Hell Judecca. The younger brother took out ivory and ebony and began shooting. Vergil did not want to lose and used Judgment Cut to slay more demon. Dante shuddered because he was in the range of the move. If he did not defend himself with the Royal Guard, he would take significant damage.

"Hey, watch it!"

"Why would I? You've blocked it perfectly."

It had been a month since both basked in earth sunlight. They managed to escape from hell with the helped of Yamato. Dante forgot they could use it to return back. This angered Vergil who lectured him for hours. The wacky-woohoo-pizza-man crashed back to Devil May Cry. Vergil was forced to follow, knowing he had nowhere to stay. Dante called his nephew to give him the news. In the next two days, Nero appeared in front of the shop. His first reaction was to dropkick his uncle like it was their first meeting. Vergil was happy to see the scene.

The father and son finally had a talk. It was unfortunate how that always ended in a fight. Nero kept pressing him about his mother, but Vergil could not recall anything. His memory of his younger day was blurry from Nelo-Angelo effect. Nero did not accept it as an answer. He fought with his father, threatening the half-demon with more beating. However, Vergil resisted. That man was incredibly bitter about it. Vergil was just as frustrated as his son. He remembered her voice, swaying hair and smile, but everything else was hazy. Nero found himself hesitated to press further. The day had passed, neither talked about a specific woman in their life.

This brought the twin back to Red Grave City. The Qlipoth tree was gone, but the demon still swarmed in the place. A lot of small hell portal popped out then closed randomly. Dante, Vergil, Trish, and Lady were paid to clean up the place. The ladies worked in different areas. While Trish was fine with him as an additional member, Lady was upset. She tried to shoot Vergil's face with a gun the whole time. (He did enslave them. Her anger was understandable).

The twin wiped out the demon together. They finished the job and fought for fun. Vergil walked in front of him. The younger brother knew his older one was dying to talk but did not know how to begin a conversation. Dante was exhausted, too tired to start a conversation. Vergil kept rolling his eyes back and forward, hoping his brother would speak.

"You really suck at making small talk. Just spill it out."

Vergil frowned. Dante only replied with a laugh.

"I... remembered about Nero's mother."

Dante almost fell to the ground. This was important news. He was always curious about Nero's mother. She was a woman who melted Vergil's cold heart, gained his trust and more attractive than power.

"Who? How?! I thought your memory-"

"Some of it had returned to me. She related to our childhood."

"Childhood? Does this mean I know her?"

Vergil nodded, "She was..."

A group of lesser demons jumped to them. Dante groaned. He whipped out his weapon and slew the bug demons. Before Vergil moved, he sensed something awful.

"No. This can't be..."

That man was frozen in terror. There was a familiar cursed presence in that place. She supposed to be dead twenty-seven years ago. Vergil looked at his surroundings to find a cloaked woman smiled at the other man.

"Dante!"

He ran without thinking and pushed the younger twin. A scorpion tail stabbed him in the chest. Blood spilt from his mouth. Dante was shocked to see his brother protected him.

"The older Son of Sparda.... I can't believe you pull yourself from hell."

The tail retracted back to the cloaked figure. She was smiling when she saw her victim. That woman startled when a bullet grazed her. Dante ran to her with anger in his eyes. She created a portal and left them. Both could hear her wicked laugh in the air.

Dante screamed. "Vergil, no!"

Vergil looked at his body, there was a gaping hole in his chest. It was too late. He saw the poison slowly moved to his heart. That man recognized the inevitable pain, the poison spread inside his veins. Vergil gripped Yamato and released the sword from the sheath. He stared at Dante and murmured a hint to him.

"Alraune... poison..."

Vergil stabbed himself with his sword, trying the separate the demonic poison from his body before it held his soul. Flash of light appeared and blinded Dante's sight. Vergil laid on the ground, losing his strength to stand. He watched Dante came closer and held his body. The separation was a failure. Dante was crying and yelling his name. However, his ears no longer heard anything. His vision went dark as memories ran through his mind.