14. The End of the Beginning

"The child is safe. You do not need to continue."

Vergil stared at Katherine. Her mission was over, but she still followed him.

"How about you? You got Yamato back and had enough information about The Order of the Sword. You do not need to stay around in Fortuna."

"That demon was Mundus's minion. I must defeat anything related to him. Stand back, this has nothing to do with you. Why do you even insist to go? Is it hatred? Is it vengeance?"

They stood face to face. Katherine's eyes were as pure as water. It was clear that revenge was not the answer. She had a different purpose in her mind.

"You see how many lives were lost. I don't want others to go through the same pain. I pursue power to end tragedy like this, Vergil."

Katherine had proved herself. She was stronger than she looks. The raven-haired woman helped him fight and solved the puzzle on their way. He would not get Yamato back without her. Vergil could not argue with her contribution to the party.

"Fine. You can come along."

A smile bloomed upon her face. "Thank you!"

They arrived at an abandoned building. It was located far away in the deserted area of Fortuna. They entered the entrance and saw a blood trail in the entrance. Katherine felt sick, but Vergil paid no mind to it. Both repulsed by disgusting smell the moment they stepped inside. There were stench and horrid in the air.

The blood trail continued into a room. They followed it and heard the sound of chewing and slurping from a room. Vergil gave Katherine a sign to prepare and pushed the door. That woman closed her mouth and held her scream. In front of them was a mountain of bones and flesh. The demon feasted on the top of fresh corpses. She noticed them and turned around.

"I'm so happy you receive my invitation, Sparda's Spawn." The demon licked the blood on her lips. "How nice of you to bring food to this party!"

"Hey!" Katherine protested.

"My, where is my manner." After snapping her hand, a short red dress wrapped her body. She bowed down politely. "I had no name, but you can call me Alraune since most of my body constructed of it."

She put an eyeball to her mouth. "Do you want some?"

"I'm afraid this will be your last dinner." He sneered. "No wonder Mundus threw you."

The demon did not appreciate his insult. A devilish smirk appeared on her face. She changed her voice into someone else. "Vergil, why do say such a thing?"

A chill shivered down his spine. He recognized that voice. It belonged to his mother. He felt insulted that the demon tried to impersonate his mother.

She laughed. "Mundus created me to resemble your mother, but as you can see, I'm nowhere as similar to her. However, I can still mimic some part of her. I heard Sparda had two sons. Judging from your personality, you must be the older brother. The one who abandoned by his mother."

Alraune dodged Vergil range attack. That man attacked her without any word. She smiled, knowing her provocation was successful. He hated how she used his mother to mock him. He was left behind alone. For years, he sought power and never relied on people.

"Vergil, don't fall for it!"

He snapped out from his thought when Katherine blocked out an assault behind his back. A demon sneaked through a small portal by Alraune command. Vergil caught up in his anger and did not notice it. For once, he was glad for bringing a companion.