4. Fortuna, Past

Fortuna.

High rampart surrounded the place, an isolated city from the outside world. In the middle of the investigation, Vergil stumbled upon the strange cult. The rest of the residence adopted an unknown religion called 'The Order of Sword'. The religion itself worshipped demon, The Dark Knight Sparda, as their saviour.

He was not exactly welcome in the city. Few people peered at him for asking for information. Fortuna never opened up to outsiders. That man had spent several days gathering news. After spending time striding between the crowds, he found a woman had been following his figure. She went to a dark alley to pursue hum. However, that woman lost sight of him. There was nothing but a dead-end at the road.

Vergil suddenly appeared behind her, pointing Yamato at her neck. "If you still want to live, scram."

She was surprised to hear his voice. "Vergil?"

Vergil scowled. Nobody supposed to know his existence. Even his own younger brother thought him dead. "Who are you?"

The woman turned around and opened her hood. His eyes widened. She did not change between these span of years. Skin as white as snow, lips as red as blood, and hair as black as ebony. Her short hair now fell down long on her back. Her grey eyes were hidden beneath black-framed glasses. The crybaby little girl in the past had grown into a beautiful young lady.

Katherine.

"Are you Vergil? You-you're alive! I cannot believe this! I visited your house but it burned down. Nobody knows about your whereabouts."

Vergil was baffled. This situation was out of his control. He felt discomfort toward their unexpected reunion. Katherine came closer, gleefully spoke without knowing what befell to him. "Dante? How is Dante? Is he-"

Vergil gritted his teeth. He gave her a shooting glare. "Don't use that name in front of me."

Katherine closed her mouth. Something must have happened to him. She held herself for asking more question. Without a word, Vergil turned his back on her. Katherine could not let him go and tugged his sleeves. "Wait. Don't go!"

Memories sapped through him. He took a trip back to his childhood. Looking at her face reminded him of the eventful day during her stay. They would play outside awhile his parents watched them from the house. He quickly erased the illusion from his mind. It was foolish of him to be attached to it.

Vergil shook her hand and stared at her. She wore the clothes of Fortuna's residence. This perplexed him. "You live here?"

She fixed the glasses on her nose. "Yes, I have stayed for two years on this island."

Their little conversation tackled his investigation. Before he realized, the sun nearly set to evening. The demon was more active in the night. Vergil could detect the sneaky bastard sneaked in the darkness. He decided to postpone the research for a while.

"Perhaps I will stay in this town for a moment. I didn't found what I was looking for."

Knowing Katherine, she would be eager to assist him. It could be an advantage to his investigation. "Oh, what is it? Maybe I can help!"

"Do you know anything about The Order of Sword?"

"Yes. Most of the people in Fortuna adopted that as their religion." Katherine glanced at his sword. "They have a lot of books about it and..."

She was going to touch Yamato in secret, but Vergil moved it from her reach.

"No."

"Stingy." She was pouting, still puffing her cheek like her past habit. "So where do you sleep tonight?"