20. Last Vision

It was not supposed to end like this.

She left Fortuna before people found out about her pregnancy. Everyone only remembered her as a librarian who moved to the mainland. Katherine left no trace before returning back to her hometown.

Her baby was beautiful. His eyes were as blue as the sky, and his silver hair was shining under the light. Her feature barely appeared on his face. Part of her heart was breaking. There was no doubt that he was Vergil's son. Nevertheless, Katherine loved the child. After all, the tiny kid was part of her wish.

However, the happiness was short-lived.

The demon found out about her son. They broke the barrier and chased her out, but Katherine managed to escape. She must seek help somewhere, but the demon kept getting in her way. That woman was forced to run away back to Fortuna. Katherine could not believe she came back to the place where everything began.

It was only a matter of time before her enemies caught up. Katherine was dreadful. As long as she was alive, they would found about her child. She thought about any possibility to keep her only newborn safe. In the middle of thinking, she passed the orphanage.

She had to abandon him.

Her hands were trembling, and her heart was torn apart. Fate was cruel. There was no other way. She must give up the only precious thing won her life.

"I only hold you for a moment. However, your existence is everything to me. Please, survive..."

Katherine kissed her son for the last time. She wrapped him in the black blanket then put him right in front of the door. Before she left, her baby was crying. Katherine turned back for a moment, trying to reach the child. However, she had made up her mind. Katherine bit her nail and ran to the opposite side. Tears fell down into her pale cheek.

The demon finally found her when she reached the harbour. They snatched the bundle from her arm. It fell and rolled to the ground. The demon roared in anger after being tricked by a decoy. "Where is the child?!"

Katherine forced herself puts a brave smile. "I sealed Sparda's power inside him. Right now, he is just a normal baby. You will never found him!"

The demon attacked her relentlessly. In the first place, it was impossible to win. Katherine lied on the pool of her blood. Her skin was full of scar and bruise, her bones were broken, and her rib stabbed the lung. Breathing never felt so hurts. Katherine would not survive the injuries.

She watched fog as it came out from her mouth. Katherine was alone. The demon had left because they knew she would die slowly from her wounds. Her eyes were dim, and her body went cold. There were too many regrets in her life. Katherine left everyone without a message, never had a wedding or lived a peaceful life she wanted. Her biggest regret was her newborn. Katherine could never watch him grow.

She knew her son would grow resenting her, but he survived. That was all that matter.

The darkness pulled her deep. Her eyelid felt heavy. Flashes of memories passed her. Shee remembered that man, their first meeting, their journey, their fateful night and their separation.

"Vergil..."

A beautiful dream appeared before her demise. Katherine saw the future of her son, he grew up to a fine young man. His appearance resembled his father. Vergil came closer and stood next to him. Dante then joined by jumping at them. Both were angry and pushed him away.

Katherine smiled. If the vision was true, one day her son would be reunited with his family. Nero would not be alone. She was satisfied with that hope and closed her eyes.

Author note:

So I was thinking: There are two possibilities for Nero's mom, she gave him up or died. Remember in the novel Nero was found wrapped in a black blanket in front of the orphanage. The dying one during giving birth was weird because it means her midwife will put Nero in a normal - legal way instead of putting him right in front of the orphanage. So Nero's mom must be leaving him.

The next question is, whether she is alive or not. :(