10. Separated

"Are you ready?"

Katherine swallowed her saliva. After defeated a demon, Vergil received a spear, and Katherine gained new ice spell. She suggested rehearse to test their new gift. Vergil agreed on much to her surprise.

She should have known it was a bad idea.

"Let me hit you for once, damn it!"

"I see you're swearing now. Losing your cool?"

Vergil was a strict teacher. There was no mercy in their training. He showed the gap between their abilities. However, Vergil only attacked her with his hand. Using a weapon against her would be too much. When Katherine distracted, she hit her arm. "You have an opening."

She changed the form of her spectral magic into the whip and lashed it out at him. Vergil evaded it and gone from her sight. One second he was next to her, and suddenly he was five meters away. Katherine puffed her cheek. "You're not going to give me a handicap?"

He smirked. What a nasty sadistic grin it was.

"No. It's your fault to make me motivated."

Vergil teleported behind her. Katherine startled, but she predicted this move. She sparred his hit with a spectral barrier. The half-demon moved away from her when he felt a tremor on the ground. The ground turned into multiple spiked at his way. Just as he was thought, she prepared a trap for him.

Katherine sent flying fireball, but Vergil dodged it. He managed to get close again. Her response was slower this time. Katherine could not defend herself as Vergil smacked her hand. The book fell down from her hand. She reached for it, yet Vergil obstructed her way. He put the tip of Yamato under her chin.

"The demon will decapitate your head if they see you like this. Now, what would you do?"

Katherine glared at him. She mumbled a short spell he never heard before. Vergil saw a spark above them and stepped back. A huge explosion occurred right in front of him. Both of them slid back and avoided the blast.

"Are you insane? You almost blow yourself!"

Katherine took the book from the ground. "Being insane is a part to be a witch!"

She had him exactly where she wanted. Vergil was going to move away but found himself immobilize. His feet were frozen in ice. Katherine used that opportunity to send a flying spectral bullet at him. That woman was happy since she finally landed a hit on him. However, her big smile was gone when she saw Vergil was unscathed. He was fast enough to guard himself with the spears.

"Nice plan, but your attack is easy to deflect."

"Fine, it's my loss."

Katherine admitted her defeat. In a second, the ice was gone from his feet.

"You're improved."

She rolled her eyes. "Well, aren't you a good teacher."

"Would you prefer me to be gentle?"

".... You know what? No one ever is rough to me. I'll let that one slide."

They advanced with their journey. Their enemy grew stronger with their progress. Both eventually saw Fortuna Castle from their place. They needed more information related to Hell Gate seal. Katherine hoped their answer laid in the library of the castle.

Vergil took another step then noticed the ground was shaking. They heard a heavy footstep limped toward their way. Katherine stretched up her neck to see a tall grotesque creature. It had the head of The Infestant, the legs of the Assaults, a spiky spine like Chaos and the body of the Riot. The monster was born from a combination of abomination.