19. The Beginning of the End

One of Nero biggest fear was knowing his mother died protecting him. Deep down, he lived in denial. He always thought his mother abandoned him. She was alive out there without him. That way, Nero would not feel guilty about his life. He kept repeating it in his mind like a chant.

Now that fear had become a reality.

"Oh dear, it's all written in your face. It is too late to feel bad." The demon flew again in the air, snickering at his figure. "I did not kill her, but I did watch how she slowly succumbed to death. She cried out your father's name at the last moment. How pitiful."

Alraune smiled at him. "If only you were not born."

She commanded her minion to assault him and disappeared into one of her portals. The demon attacked him under her order. Nero was filled with rage, ruthlessly murdering the demons. Emotion took him over. Alraune used the opportunity to pull a sneak attack in the middle of his battle. She struck him and immediately went back to her dimensional portal. If Nero focused on her, the demon would attack him. But if he switched his mind to the demon, Alraune would attack him.

Three Hell Vanguards jumped on him. Nero screamed, slaying the demon in front of him. His right leg suddenly stopped moving. Nero realized it was broken from the fight. One of the demons used the opportunity to stab his left arm. Nero gritted his teeth and bore the pain. He used his spectral wing to throw the demons away, creating distance from his enemies.

Nero was exhausted, he could not fight with his condition. The Demon Hunter hoped his healing factor worked faster. He used Red Queen to stand and used Blue Rose on his left arm. It drained every inch of his energy. Nero kept shooting at the demon before they got closer.

But Alraune appeared behind him.

She pulled out her claw, aiming to dig out his heart. Nero was far too late, he would not be able to avoid the attack. He shut his eyes in fear.

All he heard was a voice of sword blocking the attack.

Nero opened his eyes. Vergil was standing in front of him, protecting his son.

"What did I told you about keeping a cold head in the battle?"

The young man was surprised. "Why are you in here?"

"Helping. I saw Dante outside. My awful feeling is correct, after all."

Nero felt pathetic. "Sorry to show you my weak side." He tried to stand up, but his leg was throbbing in pain. The injuries were not healed yet. Vergil offered his hand to help him. However, Nero noticed his father's hand trembled. His father face was pale.

You're not recovering, are you?"

"I'm afraid not."

"One injured man and poisoned man. I guess we have to team up."

Alraune was mad when she was Vergil. Nero saw terror and fury in her eyes. "Son of Sparda! How could you still alive? That poison supposed to kill you!"

"I have to thank you for that. I gained some memories during my slumber."

"I should have murdered you when you were weak!"

The demons emerged back from the ground after she went to her portal again. Vergil and Nero stayed close. It was amazing how they finally synchronize to defeat the same enemy. Vergil swung Yamato, cutting demon on Nero's left side. Nero shot a bullet, passing Vergil's head and hit a demon behind him.

The Dark-Hunter whispered. "Listen, Nero. I want you to focus on Alraune and let me handle the small fry."

"What? No! I can handle-"

"I trust you to watch my back."

Nero scratched his head. "I can't really refuse if you put it that way."

Vergil wiped down the ground with the demons while Nero chase after Alraune's Every time she appeared, Nero laid one attack on her. She was no match for both of them, but Alraune never cared about her life. She would do anything for victory if that meant dragging everyone to hell with here. There was no one to seal her power now.

"Curse you both!"

The demon gathered around her. There were too many enemies to handle in front of him. When Nero swung Red Queen, it broke from overheating. He lost his primary weapon in a critical situation. Before he moved, Vergil cleared the path with one powerful blow. Nero looked at his father. He threw Yamato with a small smile on his face.

"Go."

Alraune was shocked when all of her guards defeated. She flew to the air, but Nero caught up. She sparred Yamato with her claw. However, a bullet blew her shoulder. Before they separated, Nero gave Blue Rose to Vergil. He shot her when she was distracted. Nero used the opportunity to stab her.

Both fell down and fought in the air. Nero thought the fight would end, but it was not over. She pulled out the blade from her chest. Nero pushed it, but the demon overpowered him. Alraune was smiling because she proves her strength.

Then she felt a pang of pain in her chest.

The demon looked at his back. The flat ground had turned into a spike, piercing her lung and heart. Blood gushed out from her mouth. She glared at his opponent. Nero had planned everything until that moment.

"I'm glad I learn that spell."

The spell wore off. Alraune did not have time or enough demonic power to heal herself and fell to the ground. That demon laughed at her pitiful state. Nero walked forward with Yamato in his hand.

"This is the end."

She chuckled. "I never thought I will face death. It is not as bad as I thought. At least... I die on the hand of a handsome man."

Nero stabbed her right in the chest. Light cracked on her dried skin. The demon disintegrated from head to body, disappearing into nothing but dust. Nero kneeled on the ground, feeling beyond exhausted. Vergil ran to Nero to see his condition.

"I didn't know you can use a gun."

"Don't tell Dante, he would use it for teasing."

"Is it over?"

"Yes."

"Oh, good. Finally, I can..."

Nero closed his eyes. Vergil caught him before his body hit the ground. "Nero!"

"I'm fine... just... tired."

Vergil relieved. He gently put his son on the ground and turned around. "Hop on."

Nero groaned. "Piggyback? No way! Can we do this the normal way?"

"Your leg is still broken. I believe you are too exhausted that your demonic healing did not work."

Nero was embarrassed, but he had no choice. "... Don't tell Dante about this."

Vergil carried him outside. Nero somehow fell asleep on his back. He deserved a long-good rest. When they were out of Sabbath, Morrison and the girls were waiting for him. The family returned back to the house.