6. Intertwined Path

It was the cursed night, his eight birthday.

Vergil dragged Yamato alone amid the darkness. That boy grabbed Yamato tightly and prepared for the worse. Demon swarmed and ripped his flesh. Vergil sparred the attack. However, the number of enemies was higher. He fought to death until blacked out. Everything repeated like a spinning wheel.

Vergil gasped and opened his eyes. He laid on the bed with severe headaches and sweat. The young man remembered the demon that impaled his chest. He touched his chest, his injury had healed. The half-demon struggled to stand up. His vision was still blurry.

"Yamato..."

He grabbed his amulet and walked out of the room. He found Katherine slept peacefully on the couch. Vergil shook her body, but Katherine did not budge. She stayed asleep the whole time. He frowned. If his memory served him right, Katherine might be still a heavy sleeper. She was a drowsy girl and had a weird ability to sleep in an inappropriate time or place (even Dante was nowhere as bad as her).

This fact annoyed him. He poked her cheek out of frustration. She looked a bit disrupted in her sleep. Vergil had little fun and poked her cheek more.

His action woke her up. Katherine jumped and fell from the couch. "You surprise me!" She put back her glasses. "I can't believe you wake up this early."

Vergil anxiously looked at his surroundings. "Where is Yamato?"

Katherine avoided his gaze. "I am sorry.... The demon took it away."

His whole world had collapsed. Yamato was his everything, his memory, his strength, and his soul. He poured so much power to make it a perfect weapon. It was the only single thing inherited from his father. The only entity left behind when everything burned down. While he drowned in thought, Katherine summoned a White Wolf out of thin air. The sight of the spirit left him curious.

"Is that... a familiar?"

"Yes. I found it covered in injury and took care of it. For gratitude, it let me make a contract." She patted the beast. It leaned and licked her face. The wolf then gave her a piece a distinct looking fruit. "The demon that took your sword dropped this. This is the fruit that only grows in Mitis Forest. I think we have a clue in there."

Vergil moved. "I need to get Yamato back."

"Now? You're not even healed yet!"

"I don't care!"

She bit her nails. This worry drove her mad. Vergil was as stubborn as his past child counterpart. Katherine was alarmed when he reached the door. She pulled his arm in panic. "Vergil, don't go yet! It's still too early!"

He slapped her hand. Katherine was surprised. Since reasoning did not work, she punched Vergil on the stomach. That man gloriously dropped to the floor. Vergil never felt so weak before. He was in such a bad shape that a normal human just beat him.

"You're nowhere healthy to handle a demon."

He groaned in pain. "I can see that..."

She helped him to stand up. Soon, his head twitched in pain. Vergil sat on the couch and touched his head. Katherine gave him a glass of medicine. He felt much better after drinking despite the awful taste.

"What happened to me?"

"You got poisoned."

He was aghast. Having Sparda bloodline supposed to gain him immunity. He had survived a poison attempt before. It affected him to a certain degree but never enough to make him retire from the battlefield. Katherine guessed his thought and kneeled next to him. "I know you are half-demon but that does not mean you are invisible."