8. Abandoned Ruin

The fruit brought them to an abandoned Ruin near Mitis Forest. They arrived after slain several lesser monsters inside a maze. Katherine peeked at the entrance. The Ruin was guarded by two moving gargoyles. Yamato was nowhere in sight.

"Stay in here. I'll be right back."

"You're going to fight them with an ordinary weapon?"

Katherine pointed at his normal sword. She had no idea how he obtained it in the first place. He sneaked and managed to hide his presence. Vergil found the creature blind spot and jumped without hesitation. He swung his sword to the demon neck. It was unfortunate how his weapon was broken into pieces. The gargoyles screeched and landed a blow on his body, knocking him against the wall.

Now the demon knew about the intruder. Vergil hated this situation. The feeling of hopelessness and shamed reminded him of the past. That man stood up, refused to give up. The creature flew and ready to attack him. Vergil wiped the blood from his mouth, prepared to face it.

"A fistfight then."

A spectral lasso bound the statues. The gargoyles struggled to move. Katherine restrained them with her magic. However, her clutch was shaky.

"I know you're desperate to get Yamato, but please refrain from doing a stupid thing! What are you, Dante?!"

Hearing the name of his younger brother made him twitched. However, Katherine was right. Without Yamato, Vergil became anxious. He became reckless to obtain the sword as fast as possible. Right now, winning this battle was more important. That man took a deep breath and cleared his mind.

Katherine could not hold the restrain much longer. The Gargoyles snapped from it and flew back to the air. Now the statues had their eyes on her. The creatures stroke their sword to her position. Katherine did not expect the assault. Before she got hurt, Vergil pulled her to his chest. They eluded the attack within a strand of hair and hit the ground.

Katherine's face turned pale. The strike could finish her off. "Thanks..."

"Do you think you can defeat them?"

"Me? I don't think I can take a lot of damage..."

"I'll help you. We need to work together to take them down."

"Vergil, wait. I don't think-"

Vergil took the sword on the ground. In a split of a second, he had gone from her sight. His movement was fast and precise. He still inflicted wound with the right technique and broken sword. Katherine was amazed. His combat profanity was high above her.

Vergil taunted the demon to direct their attention to him. Katherine used that opportunity to attack the Gargoyles. After several minutes of melee and slash, they came out with the victory. The demon dispersed into dust and dropped the twin swords and a book. Katherine sat on the floor, feeling exhausted.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, just tired. That battle drains a lot of energy."

Her statement was understandable. Fighting demon squeezed strength and mental for human. Unlike her, Vergil found pleasure in fighting. It was inherited in his blood. He wanted more power and looked out for a stronger opponent. Katherine was different. She was a normal person. The young woman had little option in this situation. Her style was simple but efficient. She dodged and pulled her magic at the right time. However, Vergil saw a lot of opening. She could improve with a lot of practice.

Vergil took the book and threw it at Katherine. She caught and read it with glee. Perhaps her enthusiasm was contagious. Vergil touched the sword and swung it as a test. He was satisfied with his reward. It was shorter and less powerful than Yamato but was good enough as a temporary substitute.