Idioms/Phrases/Similes/Stoof

So, in the years that I've been writing, I've discovered that trying to memorize good phrases or words that work well together tends to be really difficult, and frustrating when i go to put them on paper and forget them all. 

so over the past few months, I've been collecting old phrases from my family, friends, and the internet, and storing them in one massive word document, so that when i wish to use a phrase or find a fitting situation for one, i can look on that list. On that same document, i also have a list of interesting words and synonyms for basic words, because i find that having a refined search that has exactly what i'm looking for right away is much easier than using dictionary.com thesaurus.com or any other websites. let me know if you're interested in that as well.

 Also let me know if you would like me to start a book with writing tips, interesting words, more phrases like this, and more!

feel free to use/copy this list and use it however you would like, i'm not asking for credit or anything. i'm constantly adding to it and am constantly finding myself needing to print out a new handheld copy every week or so. 

anyway, sorry if there's repeats, or if there's any that don't have definitions. i tried to go back and define as many as i could on my own before posting this, but there's some that are blank simply because i already knew what they meant. 

i'll link the main website I've been using. I still haven't copied all of them down onto this list (i think i stopped at letter 'o'), and so that's why there's more for some then others. they're all alphabetized, to make it a little easier. 

so, that's it for now, i'm glad i could be of help and i hope that this is useful! 

~~~~~

 1. [my] salad days – the days of one's youthful inexperience

2. [not] my cup of tea – not preferable or particularly favored

3. [to have gone] Six feet under – to die or be dead

4. A bad workman always blames his tools – suggests a bad worker tends to look for excuses for bad work

5. A bigger bang for your buck – better value for your money

6. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush – better to have a lesser but certain advantage that the possibility of a greater one that may come to nothing

7. A blessing in disguise – an apparent misfortune that works to the eventual benefit of the recipient

8. A cat in gloves catches no mice – nice guys always finish last

9. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link

10. A flash in the pan – something that fails to deliver long-term benefits after initial success

11. A house divided against itself cannot stand

12. A little birdie told me – someone told oneself a secret

13. A man after my own heart – I kindred spirit; someone who thinks as oneself does

14. A nest of vipers – group of iniquitous (sinful) people, congregating together

15. A nod is as good as a wink - expresses the idea that, to a person who is ready to understand or undertake something, any subtle signaling of it is sufficient. The context is usually of some undertaking that is borderline illegal or of an innuendo.