twenty-four

I squeezed Draco's hand under the table. The Dark Lord had requested that all of the Death Eaters joined him for a meeting in his chambers. The Dark lord himself had yet to show up, but Draco, Narcissa, Lucius (who had been released from Azkaban), Bellatrix, and the Crowley's were all here, seated around a long table in the dark room. We could barely see each other.

A pop sounded from the front of the room, and we all went silent as the Dark Lord appeared at the head of the table. Dim torches along the walls lit up, illuminating the room a small amount. A shadow hung over the table, and we all looked up to see a woman laying on her back in midair, spinning slowly as if being pulled by an invisible rope. The rest of the Death Eaters looked away as if this were a normal sight—for them, it probably was. However, Draco seemed to be looking back up at the woman every few minutes, and I was, too.

"Yaxley. Snape. You are very nearly late."

I looked down the table to see the two Death Eaters. I hadn't realised that they were here.

I listened intently as the other Death Eaters talked. Every few moments, Draco would reach for my hand, trying to calm himself. He was shaking.

While I listened, I noticed that both Draco and Voldemort continuously looked up at the body above us. The only difference is that Voldemort kept his gaze on her, while Draco repeatedly looked away.

A huge snake slithered across the floor, deciding to climb slowly up Voldemort's chair and around his shoulders. I had forgotten about his snake.

"Why do the Malfoys look so unhappy with their lot? Is my return, my rise for power, not the very thing they professed to desire for so many years?"

"Of course, my Lord," said Lucius, shaking almost as much as Draco. He looked tired. "We did desire it—we do."

Narcissa nodded stiffly, obviously terrified but trying incredibly hard to hide it. Draco looked away from the body above us and glanced quickly at Voldemort, but as soon as he did he turned away to look at his lap, scared to make eye contact.

"My Lord," said Bellatrix, her voice filled with emotion, "it is an honour to have you here, in our family's house. There can be no higher pleasure."

"No higher pleasure. That means a great deal, Bellatrix, from you." Voldemort's voice was smooth and quiet, yet colder than ever.

"My Lord knows I speak nothing but the truth!"

"No higher pleasure . . . even compared with the happy event that, I hear, has taken place in your family this week?"

"I don't know what you mean, my Lord."

"I'm talking about your niece, Bellatrix. and yours, Lucius and Narcissa. She has just married the werewolf, Remus Lupin. You must be so proud."

The Death Eaters around the table began laughing. The snake hissed at the sudden commotion, but it only got louder. Bellatrix looked angry.

"She is no niece of ours, my Lord," she yelled over the laughing. "We—Narcissa and I—have never set eyes on our sister since she married the Mudblood. This brat has nothing to do with either of us, nor any beast she marries."

"What about you, Draco? Will you and Y/n babysit the cubs?"

I felt Draco go stiff. The laughter doubled, and I simply squeezed his hand, not sure of what else to do.

I hate this. I hate seeing him so hurt. I hate feeling like I have to hide any and all emotions to survive. I hate that I was forced into being a stupid Death Eater. I hate that I don't have a chance.

After a bit of back and forth between Voldemort and Bellatrix, the Dark Lord pointed Lucius's wand (which he was using) at the body above us. With a tiny flick, the woman woke with a groan and began to struggle against what seemed to be invisible bonds.

"Do you recognise our guest, Severus?"

Snape looked up at the woman, along with all of the other Death Eaters.

"Severus! Help me!" the woman cried in a cracked and terrified voice.

"Ah, yes," Snape said quickly.

"Y/n? Draco? Do you?"

Draco had stopped looking at the woman now that she was awake. He shook his head jerkily, but I nodded. This woman was Professor Charity Burbage, who taught Muggle History and Sciences, as Voldemort was now explaining.

"Severus, please, please. . . ."

"Silence. This woman has been defending Mudbloods in the Daily Prophet recently. She believes that being pureblooded is merely coincidental, and should not be treated with more or less respect than the Mudbloods." Voldemort sounded angry, and I was terrified.

"Avada Kedavra."

The green light from the wand illuminated the whole room. Professor Burbage crashed onto the table, which trembled and whined. I was joined with several Death Eaters as I abruptly jumped up from my chair and back. Draco fell from his chair and to the floor.

"Dinnertime, Nagini."