Prologue

The early afternoon sunrays were only just managing to peek through the thick canopy of jungle leaves. Dotting splotches of light across the woodland floor, that would change shape as the wind rustled the leaves.

The jungle was miles away from any civilisation, very few people even knew of its existence. But that didn't mean, it wasn't home to some.

Right in the heart of the jungle, was a small clearing. And resting in the the tree-tops, was a tree house. It was rather large for a tree house, spread throughout about three trees. Vines and moss covered the wooden walls, snaking through the railing of the staircase that lead to the bottom.

It was dead silent in the living area of the tree-house. The Order of the Stone had been laughing and chatting in there only minutes ago, now it was quiet enough to hear a needle drop. Not a person was in sight...

That was if you didn't count the foot that was sticking out behind the couch.

"Lukas!" Olivia hissed. "Pull your foot back in behind here!"

Lukas mouthed a quick "sorry", before curling his legs up in the cramped space behind the couch where four of the Order members were hunched.

"Would you guys shut it up already?" Petra hissed, glancing over her shoulder with a scowl. "You're going to blow this."

She didn't wait for a response, turning back around and pressing her ear to the backside of the couch. Listening intently. A few seconds later she glanced back over her shoulder, scowl deepening.

"Axel, is it possible to breathe any louder?" She hissed, before once again returning to her former position.

The others covered their mouths to force back chuckles. Even after how long its been, it was hard to get used to Petra's acute hearing.

Suddenly the redhead held up a hand, glancing back at the others. Her scowl replace by an excited grin. The others immediately froze, smiles playing on their lips as well.

Jesse came walking into the living room, her bare feet making seemingly no noise on the wooden floor. She stopped, frowning as she glanced around the empty room. She had barely left the room five minutes ago – where had the other four disappeared off to?

Petra slowly raised one hand, starting to wordlessly count off with her fingers. One, two....

Suddenly there was a scratching noise outside, causing Petra to stop mid count. She raised both her hands, signalling the other three to not move, before pressing her ear back against the couch.

The dog flap on their door lifted up, a grey muzzle with shining black nose poking through. That was soon followed by an entire wolf's head, his ears pricked. A stripped blue bandanna wrapped around his neck.

Rascal left out a playful yelp at the sight of Jesse there, scrambling through the dog door, and trotting up to her. His tail waved like a flag as she knelt down to his level.

"Hey boy." Jesse said, scratching him behind his ears.

Petra sub-consciously rolled her eyes to herself as she listened to Jesse, talking to the wolf as if he was a person, asking him if he knew where the others were. It was always somewhat amusing to listen in on Jesse when she started talking to animals.

Deciding that their friend was distracted enough, Petra raised her hand again. She silently began counting with her fingers again. One... two... three...

Jesse's attention was still completely focused on Rascal, not at all expecting her four friends to all of a sudden leap from behind the one couch, screaming 'Surprise!'

Jesse, completely taken aback by the sudden action, straight up shrieked. Still kneeling down on one leg, she completely lost her balance, toppling back into the coffee table and knocking the vase of sunflowers down. Fortunately it didn't break.

"What the hell?!" Jesse gasped in surprise.

Rascal eagerly started to lick up the water that spilled from the vase. Everybody was laughing now, and within a minute, Jesse was too.

"Jesse, are you OK?" Olivia asked through her chuckles, ducking out from behind the couch and helping Jesse to her feet.

"I knew you'd be surprised, but I didn't expect you to be that surprised." Petra added, clambering over the couch – her boots leaving dusty footprints on the leather.

Lukas and Axel also maneuvered their way out behind the couch, Axel nearly getting stuck in the process.

"Okay, okay, I'll admit you got me." Jesse said, dusting down her overalls. She cocked her head to the side, giving her friends a puzzled look. "You know, if I recall correctly, my birthday was last month."

"Well, your memory serves you well then." Petra said, crossing her arms and grinning. "Because this isn't meant to be a birthday surprise."

"What is it then?" Jesse asked curiously, looking between her three friends.

"You seriously don't know, dude?" Axel asked her.

"If I did, I doubt I'd be asking." Jesse replied, folding her arms as well. She raised her eyebrows, still awaiting an explanation.

"Jesse, today is the one year anniversary of you defeating Soren!" Olivia said excitedly.

Jesse's face fell slightly. "Already?" She asked, looking down. "Time sure flies."

"Hey, why the glum face?" Lukas asked, looking concerned.

"Look, I appreciate this a ton." Jesse said, hesitating slightly. "But... is this really something for us to be celebrating?"

The others exchanged glances, seemingly surprised at Jesse's words. Jesse felt a little bad, especially because of how excited her friends had looked a few minutes ago.

"Let's not celebrate today as the day we took down a madman." Petra spoke up. "The whole incident is what brought the five of us together again, so that is what we should be celebrating it for."

Jesse began to smile, nodding. "Now that is a memory I would happily celebrate."

The others all nodded in agreement, smiling excitedly. Rascal even joined in the excitement, spinning around in a few circles at their feet and letting out an excited bark.

"So, how did you guys plan on celebrating this?" Jesse asked, glancing between her friends. "Or was the idea simply to scare the wits out of me, and then go on with the day?"

"I thought, since Olivia baked a cake on the wither storm anniversary, we could bake a cake today." Axel spoke up, glaring over at the others. "But they disagreed."

"Yes, well, I don't think I have the courage to attempt another cake baking attempt with both you and Rascal in the house, for at least a few months to come." Lukas pointed out, to which Olivia swiftly nodded in agreement.

"So with that crossed off the suggestion list-" Petra took it upon herself to do the explaining. "We thought about going out for the day. You know, saddle up the horses, ride into the jungle – have a little one-day outing."

"We could even have lunch somewhere." Olivia added. "Maybe at that pond we found last month, or we could ride out to the jungle edge at the beach again?"

"Or even discover a whole new beautiful area to stop for a picnic." Lukas added in excitement.

"That sounds fantastic." Jesse said excitedly. "I'm all for that idea!"

"Then let's get a picnic basket packed and saddle up those horses." Petra said, excitedly punching the air.

"We have an adventure ahead of us!"

"A one day trip, Petra."

"Don't spoil my fun, okay?"