Chapter 19 - Putting Plans into Action

Jesse inhaled sharply through her teeth, clenching her jaw in pain. Olivia cast her an apologetic glance, before carefully pressing the cold, wet cloth against Jesse's wrist again.

"How does it look?" Petra asked from behind Olivia.

"We might have to wait for it to start healing to see if it's a symbol as well." Olivia said, removing the cloth again to examine the burn.

"It almost looks like a paw as well." Lukas pointed out, leaning a bit closer to see as well. "But different to Petra's."

"What do you mean?" Axel asked in confusion. "A paw is a paw."

"Different animals have different paws, Axel." Jesse said, rolling her eyes slightly.

"Oh, yeah."

"Petra, can we get a comparison?" Olivia asked, looking over at the redhead.

Petra nodded, taking a seat beside Jesse on the bed. She turned over her hand, holding it out right beside Jesse's, so the two symbols were shown side by side.

"Mines a wolf's paw print, no doubt." Petra said, as everybody crowded around to properly see.

"Hold up." Lukas said, suddenly turning around and darting out of the room.

Everybody else exchanged confused glances, shrugging at each other. A few moments later, Lukas came walking back into the room. In his arms he held his sleepy looking ocelot, the feline blinking tiredly.

"Look." Lukas said, carefully sowing the underside of the animal's paw beside Jesse's wrist.

"Ocelot print?" Jesse suggested.

"A cat's paw print for sure, but it's too unclear to be certain what type of cat." Lukas said, thoughtfully stroking his ocelot's head. "The shape almost makes me think of a larger animal."

"Why are we talking about this like it's normal?" Olivia finally asked, holding up her hands. "We're discussing the type of animal who's paw print was just mysteriously burned into Jesse's wrist in front of our very eyes, seemingly from thin air! Is any part of this normal?"

"Looking at all the crazy shit that's been going down in the recent weeks, this doesn't even rank the top ten of weird events." Petra said with a heavy sigh.

"Why didn't you tell us of your burn, Petra?" Lukas asked her, still holding his ocelot.

"Because I didn't know what the hell it was." Petra said with a shrug. "It happened during the night, and... guess there just wasn't a good time to bring it up."

"Of course." Olivia said with a sigh. "I forgot you're, you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Petra asked, glaring at the engineer.

"Okay, let's not start this again." Jesse pleaded. "I doubt that it would have made any difference if Petra told us sooner, it's not like we have an idea of what's going on here."

"Thank you." Petra growled underneath her breath.

"Maybe we should just go with our earlier plan and call it a day?" Lukas said, adjusting the ocelot in his arms. "We're all tired, nobody is in the mood to have this conversation right now."

"What's the point anyway?" Olivia said with a groan. "This situation has turned into nothing but a wild goose chase!" With those words she turned around on the spot, marching out of the room.

"With her negativity we won't get anywhere anyway." Petra growled as she got up from the bed as well, stomping out as well.

"Every thing's falling apart." Jesse said with a sigh, letting her head drop into her hands.