Chapter 10 - Tracking the Enemy

Jesse yawned as she walked into the living area of the tree-house, still feeling half asleep. It was so hard to get up on such a cloudy, cool day. There hadn't been any rain yet, but the promising clouds were continuing to pack together in the sky.

"Look who's finally up!" Olivia said from the dining table, glancing up from the book she was reading. Lukas was sitting opposite her, halfway through chewing a mouthful of cereal, so he just waved at Jesse.

"Against my will." Jesse responded with a sleepy chuckle as she slumped down in a chair as well. "In this weather? I almost just want to stay in bed and read a book."

"Yeah, it is looking quite gloomy outside." Olivia responded, grimacing as she as she peered out of the window.

"Gloomy? Hell no, 'relaxing' is more the word I'd use!" Jesse said, grinning. "I love it!"

"Sure is calming, that's for sure." Lukas agreed. "Pancake weather, I'd say. Maybe-"

"Did somebody say pancakes?!" Axel's voice suddenly bellowed from the hallway, cutting Lukas off.

He excitedly came barreling into the kitchen, a large grin on his face. Jesse, Lukas and Olivia all rolled their eyes, laughing. Petra chuckled as well as she came walking in after Axel, just shaking her head as she headed straight for the coffee machine.

"Your appetite never fails to amaze me, big guy!" She said over her shoulder.

"Ditto." Olivia responded, giggling.

Jesse frowned, looking around for Rascal, who was usually stuck to Petra's side. She didn't have to search for long, seeing him trudge into the kitchen. Ears drooped and step sluggish, he simply walked over to the table, lying down beside the chair that Petra usually sat on.

"Is everything okay with Rascal?" Jesse asked.

"I don't know." Petra admitted. "He hasn't quite been himself since yesterday. He didn't even eat yesterday night." She gestured to his food bowl, still full with the previous day's dinner.

"Think he might be sick?" Lukas asked, leaning down to give Rascal a pet on his head.

"I'm hoping not." Petra replied as she came walking back with a mug of coffee, taking her seat. "Everyone has an off day every now and then, hopefully he'll just be back to himself soon."

The cheerfulness in the atmosphere died down a tiny bit, everybody unable to help the bit of worry they felt for the young wolf.

"So what are the plans for today?" Axel asked, trying to change the subject. "Pancakes?"

"We're really just going on as if this command block incident never happened then?" Petra asked skeptically. "It's really bugging me."

"Me too, I can't get it out of the back of my mind." Olivia admitted. "But what can we do?"

"With no clues, there really isn't much I can think of." Jesse responded, scratching the back of her head. "We really just have to be ready. Who knows, maybe this person has a battle to fight that doesn't even concern us? We might as well just go on."

"Yeah, you're right." Lukas said with a sigh. "Pancakes it is then?"

Everybody laughed, while Axel excitedly nodded his head. Nobody noticed the wolf at Petra's feet tremble slightly, stiffly getting up and staggering away. Heads snapped in his direction as Rascal made an odd choking noise, laughter immediately dying down.

"The hell?" Petra asked, concern flooding across her face immediately.

Rascal's breaths were heaving slightly, his mouth open as he panted. He made another gag-like choking noise, seemingly trying to get something out of his throat.