Chapter 16 - Change of Plans

"Now what do we do?" Olivia asked, turning to face Jesse and Axel.

"I don't know." Jesse admitted. "This really changes... everything."

She looked back over at the cage were Rascal was. Petra was still knelt right outside the bars, both her arms inside the cage as her fingers ran through Rascal's fur. Despite the dried stains of tears leading down her face, there was a new form of happiness sparkling in her eyes.

"Is that even really him?" Axel asked softly, keeping his voice down.

Petra's enhanced ears had no trouble picking up Axel's whisper. She snorted slightly, glancing over her shoulder.

"Oh it's him, alright. I know Rascal."

"Okay, we need to find a way to finish the plan, though." Jesse said, exchanging glances with the others. "The command block is still out there."

"I'm not leaving Rascal here." Petra said matter-of-factly, getting up from the ground.

Reaching up her hand, she wiped the tears from her eyes, before swiftly unsheathing Miss Butter. Jesse flinched as the golden blade was jabbed onto the cage's lock, it's metallic clang echoing through the room. Rascal yelped in surprise, briefly pulling his tail in between his legs. Even Petra shook her head and blinked her eyes dazedly, the sound much more deafening to her and Rascal than any of the others.

"Petra, it's not-" Olivia tried as Petra raised the blade again, jabbing at the lock.

"Well, I'm open to suggestions." She hissed, glaring over her shoulder at Olivia. Her eyes came to rest on Jesse.

"Jesse! Your sword!" Petra said, holding her hand out.

"Just because my blade is made with the command block, doesn't mean-" Jesse began warily, only for Petra to cut her off by holding up her hand.

"Just give me the sword." She said through gritted teeth.

Sighing, Jesse unsheathed the Nether Star blade and held it out to Petra. She took the blade from Jesse, giving her a nod in thanks before turning back to the gate. As Petra raised the weapon, Rascal scampered back and the others all automatically covered their eyes.

Sparks flew as the lock and the sword met, the sound of it deafening even to Jesse, Axel and Olivia. Barely a scrape was left on the lock as Petra staggered back from it. She reached up, resting a hand on the side of her head as she tried to calm the overwhelming ringing in her ears.

"Are we giving up yet?" Olivia asked, slowly uncovering her ears.

"Never." Petra breathed, raising the sword again.

She wasn't able to bring it down, looking back in surprise to see Jesse had grabbed a hold of the blade. She gave Petra a pleading look.

"It's not working. All you're going to do is wear yourself out and possibly damage your hearing. You and Rascal's ears are too sensitive for this."

"So what am I supposed to do?" Petra asked as she lowered the weapon. Her grip on it loosened, allowing Jesse to carefully take it back. "Leave him here?"

"Just for now." Jesse said gently, taking Petra's hand. "As soon as Olivia's deactivated the command block and we finish off the first stage of our plan, we'll look for a way to get him out of this. We just can't risk it while Aiden and the others still have all the power in the world."

Petra began opening her mouth like she wanted to argue back. But then her shoulders sank and her face fell. She knew Jesse was right, even though that wasn't easy for her to accept.