Chapter 2 - Mysterious Strength

Neither Petra, Lukas or Axel spoke as they crept down the tunnel Rascal had disappeared down. All of them could hear the the mobs at that point, zombies growling, spiders hissing.

"Rascal!" Petra called into the tunnel at one point, her confident voice sounding more anxious than usual.

"I don't understand, he's usually so well behaved." Lukas said, frowning.

"I can hear him." Petra suddenly said, breaking into a jog. 

The others didn't hesitate to follow, Lukas trying his best to keep the torch lit.
The tunnel lead into yet another dark cobblestone room. But instead of leading into another tunnel, this one had an iron door at the end.

Rascal was there, scratching all along the base of the iron door, looking like he desperately wanted to get to the other side of it.

"Rascal!" Petra let out somewhat of a relieved gasp, running up to the wolf. "What has gotten into you today, boy?"

Rascal whimpered, scratching against the door again before looking up at Petra.

"What is on the other side of the door?" Axel asked as he and Lukas came up as well, the torch's orange glow bouncing off of the iron.

"I don't know." Petra said, biting her lip as she moved her gaze across the door. "I've never seen an iron door like this and.... is it enchanted?"

"You can enchant doors?" Lukas asked in surprise.

"I've never seen an enchanted door, but look." Petra said, gesturing to the purple glow on the iron. "This looks exactly like an enchantment on a regular weapon or tool."

"Can we get in?" Axel asked.

"No, it's locked tight, with no lever or button to open it." Petra said thoughtfully. 

She subconsciously reached out a hand to place it on the door's iron surface.
Seeing what Petra was doing, Rascal let out an upset yelp. He pressed his head against Petra's stomach, pushing her away from the door.

"Rascal?" Petra asked in surprise.

The wolf whined again, before going to stand in between his owner and door protectively.

"That's... odd." Lukas said, frowning. "Why wouldn't he want you to touch it?"

Petra reached out a hand again, pressing her palm against the cool iron of the door. Rascal whined, nudging her away from the door, pawing at Petra's legs when she stood her ground.

"He does not like me near this thing." Petra said, taking her hand off the door.

"Think he can smell mobs on the other side?" Axel suggested.

"But why would he react so protectively?" Petra pointed out. "We've been out hunting monsters a ton."

"Let me test something." Lukas said, stepping forward and taking the door's handle.

Rascal whimpered softly, but he didn't try to push Lukas off as well. Instead he retreated back to Petra's side, standing by her protectively.

"Clearly he doesn't mind me getting hit with whatever is in there." Lukas said, frowning.

He tugged slightly on the handle to make sure the door was actually locked. But before he could let go of the handle, the flames on his torch died with a sizzle.

"The hell?" All three of them asked in unison.

It was pitch black inside the room, the torch having been the only light source. Their eyes not having adjusted to the dark yet, nobody could see a thing in the dark.