Chapter 6 - Unwanted Arrivals

The rest of the afternoon had mostly consisted of the order discussing what they were going to do about the situation next. Or more accurately, arguing about what they were going to do next.

Eventually they gave up, deciding to sleep on it and discuss it all the next day, fresh and full of energy. Petra especially, wasn't being a ton of help, considering she could barely keep her eyes open.

It was raining hard outside, wind howling through the jungle and around their tree-house. Everybody were sleeping peacefully through the growing storm, if woken up by the thunder every now and then.

Rascal was sound asleep on Petra's bed with her, his tail swishing slightly from side to side in his sleep. Petra was out cold beside him, her one arm wrapped around the wolf.

All of a sudden, Rascal's ears pricked in the dark and he lifted his head. His tail stopped wagging as he looked around the dark room.

A low growl sounded from deep in Rascal's throat, his fur raising slightly. He lowered his head, nudging Petra's cheek with his nose.

When Petra remained asleep, Rascal stood up on the bed, her arm slipping of him. He sniffed the air, growling again.

"Mmmph, Rascal?" Petra mumbled sleepily, her eyes opening slightly before closing again.

Rascal turned back to Petra, starting to lick her face to wake her up properly.

"No, boy." Petra pushed Rascal off, rolling over on the bed. "Go back to sleep."

Rascal pawed at her back again, before turning around. He jumped off the bed, his claws making clicking noises on the wooden floor. Running over to the window, Rascal leapt up on the window seat and pressed his snout through a gap in the curtains. A deep growl came from his throat as he leapt down from the window seat and ran back to the bed, leaping on.

Enthusiastically he began to lick Petra's face, trying to wake her up.

"Rascal, no." Petra mumbled sleepily. "It's the middle of the night for god's sake."

Rascal didn't care, he leapt down from the bed again only to jump back up after barely a few minutes. Petra groaned, rolling onto her back and looking up at Rascal with half-open eyes.

He yelped, looking over at the bedroom door and then at her again.

"Are you serious, Rascal?" Petra asked, yawning. "We have a doggy door for a reason. Go on your own!"

Rascal whined softly, pulling on Petra's pyjama top with his teeth. She sighed heavily, realising he wasn't about to let her have a good night's sleep.

"Rascal, what is up with you tonight?" Petra said, rubbing her eyes as she sat up on the bed. "I really need this rest, you know that right?"

Rascal whined, jumping down from the bed again. Petra sighed, getting up as well. She watched as Rascal ran over to the window, leaping onto the window seat and pressing his nose through the curtains.

Yawning again, Petra walked over to Rascal and pulled open the curtains. Instead of the usual night-time zombie or creeper Petra expected to see, there was a much more startling sight.

Immediately Petra's mind woke up and she pulled away from the window – now knowing exactly why Rascal had woken her.

"Wake up!" Petra's voice bellowed down the hallway. "We have a problem outside, everybody wake up!"

Jesse jolted awake from the screams, getting out of bed so quickly she nearly got tangled in her blanket. She grasped the windowsill to keep her balance, her eyes landing out the jungle floor beneath them.