CHAPTER ONE- RIPTIDE

CASH

CASH

"How dare they say 'NO' to the Queen of Chapel Hill High!" Vega screams. She sticks her middle finger in the air, then turns and grabs my hand. We run hand-in-hand, our nervous laughter drowning out the sirens that scream in the distance. With each step, I try to ignore the blue and red lights that reflect on every puddle. Seventeen has to be too young for a heart attack but my chest is aching and tight. Breathe. I need to breathe.

I have to focus on something other than my thoughts of impending doom. Something to keep me busy. To keep my mind working. Food. Food is always a safe thought- but that only makes my stomach churn. No. Stars? They are so bright and the night is clear- but that makes my mind wander more. It makes me think of her. Of Vega. Vega's the brightest star in the constellation of Lyra. And she's right in front of me. Vega's someone I can focus on.

In the forty-five minutes I've known her, I find that I like Vega. Like-like her. I find myself both terrified and kind of turned on by her. It's a weird and confusing feeling- one that I can never admit out loud to having. Like if a zebra wanted to date a lion. It just doesn't make sense.

"You don't think that's cruel?" I say between breaths. I hate how I feel guilty for actions that aren't my own.

"For calling the police on a bunch of frat boys who wouldn't let me hang with them? Nah. Cruelty is a life lesson. They'll suck it up." Cruelty is a life lesson. A life lesson I know too well.

I don't realize the pavement changing to grass until I find myself tripping over the curb and falling headfirst into the dew-covered lawn. My first reaction is to pat myself down. The dowsing rods are still in my back pocket. I breathe a sigh of relief. I can feel the pair of metal rods sticking into me. Pulling myself up, I wipe my muddy hands on my jeans. Hopefully, my biggest injury will be an allergy attack from the smell of grass tickling my nose.

I look around. No more lights or sirens, the only sound is Vega, doubled over with laughter, standing beside me.

"You're so sloshed you can't even walk straight."

"Sloshed? I downed one drink." I hate lying. I only pretended to sip at the spiked lemonade she gave me at the party. "This is the normal me." I can't believe I just said that. Clumsy isn't charming, clumsy isn't- but she chuckles.

"Awe, so you usually have the elegance and grace of a baby giraffe." She teases. A soft smile on her face, as her hand reaches for mine. Our fingers interlock and my breath hitches in my throat. "It's cute." My cheeks burn. Breathe. Just breathe.

With our fingers locked together, I let her lead. Her walk is zig-zagged, but I don't care. I'm grateful that it doesn't bother her that my hands are sweaty or that I have dirt under my fingernails. I'm just lucky that she likes me enough to hold my hand. My chest is pounding like a bass drum- my body somehow skipped butterflies and went straight to a whole rock band.