CHAPTER SIX-DEMONS

CASH

My body feels heavy. I'm not sure if it's from the loss of blood or the sudden realization that my tattoo may mean more than a poor decision. I can feel it throbbing on the back of my neck. The tips of my fingers brushing against the dry skin.

Maybe this is one big coincidence set up by the universe. It has to be that, right? This man is a bad person and I'm not... unless I am. What if I am? What if I'm a bad person? There's a sinking in my stomach. I've always hurt the people around me, so how different are we?

When I flip my head back over I feel dizzy. There's blood dripping out of my nose. My eyes are heavy, I feel fuzzy and everything hurts.

"This is some cult level shit." Vega says, shaking her head. There's an echo when she talks, but I ignore it. Passing out isn't an option."I take it you have no memories of that," she points to the back of her neck.

Thinking is too hard. My brain feels more rattled than usual. "Nope," I knock on my head. "Just a big blank." I still manage to smile. I smile, just for her.

"Hmmm..." She hums, pointing to the cage."I think that tat may have something to do with this Nyx Society for the Dead. Does that ring any bells?"

"Nope, doesn't ring any bells or whistles." I focus on breathing.

"What about the eye?" Her finger is nearly touching the cage.

I wince- I can barely make out the outline of it. Though the longer I stare, the clearer it gets and the more the tattoo on the back of my neck burns. It's the same exact one. I stop looking.

Try to act normal. I put my hand on a nearby tree to steady myself.  "I have no idea." I smile, though it probably looks like I'm dying.

" Well then," She smirks, " I'm glad but, " she points to the man on the floor. Vega points a lot.  " We should get going-"

"Wait." I hope my words don't sound desperate. Pulling myself off the tree, I reach into the discarded cage on the floor. A smooth surface hits my hand and my fingers latch around it. When I lean back over my vision is fuzzy but I try my best to steady my hands as I hold the shiny golden egg out to Vega. In the dark it glows. It's polished and perfect- almost fake with how iridescent gold is.

Vega cringes. " You don't expect me to actually take that thing do you?"

"If I put it in my pocket it might get smashed, but you have a front pocket." I point to the one on her overalls."You'll keep it much safer than me." Not to mention, I would probably drop it anyway.

Vega looks disgusted at the egg, as if I'm holding a dead cat or something.  Pulling out Lysol, she sprays a thick layer on the egg. My fingers grow numb against the cold spray and my nose twitches at the powerful citrus scent. She picks it up with the tip of fingers as if its radioactive and drops it into her front pocket. "Ugh, you make me feel like a country bumpkin."

"You already sound like one, I figured an egg in the pocket was the next step." I smirk. Hopefully this joke wasn't pushing it too far.

She sticks her tongue out at me. " At least I don't look like a hobo."

"I think you meant hipster?" I pat the beanie on my head.

"You're too dirty to be a hipster." She points to my pants."Your ripped jeans are covered in blood and dirt and you need a haircut. That's like hobo wardrobe 101."

Our laughter gets cut-off by the loud snoring of the man on the floor.  We both shush. Our eyes meet. Vega flash me a mischievous smile, before putting a single finger to her lips. It's moments like these that I realize how much I like Vega. As sick as I feel, she always manages to be the reason I keep smiling.