CHAPTER SEVEN- SOMEONE TO YOU

CASH

I'm speechless- even more so than usual. Vega is right, this does look like Hell. "I-I don't know what happened." Shards of glass crunch under my feet from broken shop windows, there's a knot in my stomach. This is nothing like the town I left.

Vega wanders ahead, stopping to study one graffitied billboard. A big smirk on her face. It's an odd contrast to see her smiling while the city is burning down behind us. "I know, graffiti is wrong." There is an emphasis on her words. "But I'm going to be honest- whoever did this masterpiece-" she waves at the phallic entities graffitied on the poster. "They must be the Picasso of dicks. I'm impressed." Even after she pulls her phone out and takes a picture of the sign, her eyes don't leave the poster. Her gaze outlines each of the figures. "Who are these people?"

The poster has the shadows of twelve figures, the only detailed aspect being the red and white masks that each wear. Every mask representing an animal of the Chinese Zodiac. "These are the Zodiac 12, the political leaders of the country of Kronos."

"Ah, so you have twelve asshole presidents instead of one."

"They aren't presidents." I shake my head. " They say the Zodiac members are chosen by 'destiny.' They're the protectors of Kronos and the people in it."

"Political leaders chosen by destiny? Sounds corrupt."

"Maybe," I shrug." But no more than any other political leader. I trust in the Zodiac. "

"So you're saying you trust in the whimsical fantasy of destiny?"

"Destiny isn't whimsical or a fantasy. It's real."

She rolls her eyes, an amused look on her face."You're a total dreamer."

"Call me what you wish, but I have faith in the system." And I did because, without destiny, I would have never met Vega.

We push through the smoke. The deeper we get into town the more my stomach aches. My brain is on overdrive and every sour memory that I've ever had floods back into my mind, leaving me puckering. The tattoo on my neck is burning more with each step. As my surroundings become familiar I realize my initial feelings of home were romanticized. I didn't want to come home. I never did.

The smoke from a car fire and the sound of police sirens makes the center of town feel otherworldly. Popped balloons dangle from trees, string lights hang from lamp posts and colorful streamers line all the small shops and businesses. Chills run down my back. The scene reminds me of a zombie apocalypse. Like everyone got up mid-party, panicked, and left. We step-over one sign that's singed. The charcoal corners tearing more with each gust of wind. It reads: 'Celebrate-' and cuts off.

"What's today's date?" I ask.

Vega checks her phone. " June 21."

"Today's the summer solstice festival." Which is why the town is decorated. This also means that whatever happened had to have occurred earlier in the evening.

Vega looks confused. "Solstice festival?"

I nod. "Roanoke was founded on the summer solstice. It's a time when we celebrate our differences and people come together. Which was what Roanoke was created for. But this," I point to the car on fire. "This isn't it."

"Such a shame. Nothing screams unity and peace-on-earth like a car fire."

She's smiling and I can't help but smile too. I know I shouldn't be laughing at this. I really shouldn't, but.."People come together to sing Kumbaya by campfires all the time. Are car fires that different?"