1.0

E

It was all so weird, iPhones upgraded a ridiculous amount of times, social media was so much more popular now, doctors offices had nurses inspect you and doctors on FaceTime to prescribe you with antibiotics, houses were more expensive, their was a new president that I had never heard of and jobs were a lot harder to find.

Eight years changed the economy ridiculously and I couldn't fathom how I was only 20 km away from civilization, but it felt like I was eight years behind everyone.

I sat in the car as Shelby drove downtown, past all of the bars I used to go to and past my old neighbourhood that I was so involved in. 

She stopped at a red light and I looked over at the beautiful girl who sat inches away from me.

"Is it weird?" She spoke lightly and I nodded my head as she smiled.

"You'll get used to it in no time, I can promise you that" she said as her smile crept away and I could tell she hated seeing me so dazed in my thoughts. 

"I'm just glad they renovated that iHop, it used to be absolutely disgusting" I spoke as a smile came upon Shelby's face.

"I missed you" she spoke lightly as the light turned from red to green.

She sped up and turned down a new street that I have never seen before.

We pulled into a condominium plaza and parked in a spot labeled '418'.

"Did you move out of your parents house?" I asked and Shelby nodded.

"Yeah... my parents kind of kicked me out when they found out I was pregnant and I started living with your mom and Grayson for almost a year. Your mom watched Alissa while I went to work to save up enough money to move out" she said as she picked her nails.

Her and I's bad habits were so alike.

"Mommy can we get out of the car? I'm hot!" Alissa spoke loudly, interrupting me from my thoughts.

"One second baby" Shelby's voice echoed through the car and Alissa groaned as she unbuckled her seat belt and waited for the doors to unlock.

"My mom let you stay with her?" I spoke lightly and she looked over at me with sadness in her eyes.

"She wanted a relationship with Alissa, she isn't too fond of me because of what happened with Grayson and I but she can't control that and she really misses you" she spoke as she unlocked the doors and stepped out of the car.

She never visited, called, wrote to me or showed up to my release... how could she miss a monster like myself?