Chapter 4

Reader's POV

A few days later Mrs. Cornwell reopened the book store for most people have gone broke haven spent all their money on Wonka chocolate bars. Things were slowly getting back to normal. Kids were back in school and people returned to work. As my shift was coming to an end the door dings and I look up from the book that I was replacing on the shelf to see Charlie come in. "Hey Charlie, how was school bud." I asked with a smile as I approach him. "Fine Auntie. Charlie said a bit gloomy. "So why you stop by?" I asked. "Mother has to work late again and asked if you could stay at our place until she get home tonight." Charlie answered. "Of course I can Charlie. Look my shift will be over in a few minutes so why don't you go find a good book to read and we can walk home together. How does that sound?" I asked him thinking that will help him feel better. His mom has to work a lot to put any food on the table and it leaves him sad sometimes. "Ok Auntie." He said a bit more happy. 

Soon I gathered my coat and scarf to leave and found Charlie sitting on a chair reading Dr. Seuss's Green eggs and ham.

 He always did like those  weird and wacky story books

 He always did like those  weird and wacky story books. "Hey Charlie, ready to go bud?" I asked. "Yes Auntie, but I didn't get to finish the book." Charlie said. "That's ok. How about I loan the book to you and you can grab a couple more Dr. Seuss's books as well." I asked as he smiled at me and nodded his head. So I checked out the books and put the books in my bag to carry them home and we left out the door. As we passed Bill's candy shop Charlie's sad mood seemed to come back. "Hey Charlie why the sad face?" I asked him as we walked. "I wanted to tell you something Auntie. He said. "Oh?" I asked. "They found the third ticket today." Charlie said a little sad. "Did they?" I asked. "Yeah. I though you would like to know. Most people are pretty interested.  I know i'm Interested. There are only two tickets left you know. Just two. Pretty soon just one." Charlie said. "I wonder who the lucky ones will be?" I said more to myself then him. "Well in case you're wondering if it'll be me, it won't be. You can count me out." Charlie said sadly. "Charlie" I said as I crouch down to look him in the eyes. "There are millions of people in this world and only five of them will find golden tickets. Even if you had a sackful of money you probably won't find one. And after this contest is over, you'll be no different then the millions of others that didn't find one." I finished. "But i'm different, I want it more then any of them." He said a little upset. "Charlie, you'll get your chance. One day things will change." Is all I could say. "When? When will things change?" He asked. "When you least expect it." I said ending the conversation and started to walk again. Charlie seemed sadder then ever so I decide to do something I rarely if ever did in public. I sang to him. 

Song: ⤵️ (I posted I pic of the song because I didn't feel like doing all that writing.

I finished singing and we made it to his house. His smile was back and that's all that mattered to me in that moment.