Chapter 5: Begging From Both Sides

"That day when I caught the mugger, he kind of caught he too." Chase started to explain.

"What do you mean?" Marshall questioned. 

"He caught me off guard. He had a knife, remember? And he kind of scratched me. Just a little-"

"He what?! You told Ryder right?"

Chase just looked down nervously.

"Come on, Chase! You should always tell Ryder if you're hurt or sick or it could get worse! Show me." Marshall ordered. Chase sighed and revealed his left paw. The 'scratch' had clearly started to become a scar. Marshall's eyes widened. "Chase, this isn't something you should be hiding from Ryder!" He exclaimed. Chase stood up which made Marshall back out of the pup house. 

"Ryder doesn't need to know that something this little affects me." Chase said angrily with his head outside.

"Little? Chase, it's clearly infected and you're clearly exhausted." Marshall said as he stood against his best friend.

"It'll heal in time. For now, I just need rest." He said as he brought his head back into his pup house from the blinding light of the sun.

"If you're not gonna tell Ryder...then I am!" Marshall said as he walked away. Chase ran out of his pup house and stood in Marshall's way. 

"You wouldn't." He said. Marshall looked at him in shock. Not only did Chase have an infected scar on his left paw, but his eye bags were so obvious you would think he hadn't slept in weeks. "You can't tell Ryder... I don't want him thinking he chose the wrong police pup."

"What do you mean? He knows how brave and strong you are. Of course he chose the right police pup." Marshall said. He noticed a bruise on Chase left shoulder. He moved his head to get a better look and saw more bruises that covered his left side. Of course Ryder didn't see them! Chase had his police vest on! "Chase! Please-"

"No, Marshall. That's an order." Chase said as he tried to stand as straight and strong as he could. His eyebrows furrowed. "...Please." He said softer. Marshall nodded. Chase slowly walked back to his pup house. He went inside and laid down and tried to go to sleep.

Marshall watched Chase's pup house for a few seconds before he looked over to the other pups. "Chase told me not to tell Ryder. But he didn't tell me not to tell the pups." Marshall said to himself. He ran over to the pups playing. "Guys!" He whisper-yelled as he called them over. He caught the attention of the pups and pulled them away from Chase's pup house.

"What's up dude?" Zuma asked.

"It's Chase. He's not okay."

"I knew it!" Rocky exclaimed. "I knew something was wrong, I just didn't know what."

"What happened Marshall?" Skye asked.

"When Chase caught the mugger, he got scratched by the muggers knife." Marshall explained. All the pups gasped. Marshall continued, "and he has bruises on his left side but I don't know how that happened. And he's extremely tired. But he doesn't think he needs rest. He's in his pup house now but I'm scared that he'll get another job before he can fully recover."

"Chase does get a lot of calls. He is a police pup after all." Rubble noted.

"Exactly. He told me not to tell Ryder what happened. But he didn't tell you not to tell him." All the pups nodded in understanding. Then they heard the elevator move. They looked up and saw Chase holding his left paw up while the elevator made its way to the top. It was noticeable that Chase tried to pretend he wasn't tired. All the pups watched in concern.