Chapter 7: The List

"I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with him, only that he's exhausted and has a few injuries. He must of gotten them during the mission. I just don't know what specific injuries he has." Ryder informed Katie as she observed the young police pup.

"I'm glad you called me over. We have to take him to get an x-ray, to find if he has any broken bones or chances of internal bleeding." Katie explained. Ryder nodded and slowly began to lift Chase into his arms. Chase moved a little from the discomfort of being moved from his comfortable dog bed. Ryder apologised as he continued to move Chase. Katie and himself walked over to the elevator with the injured pup and made their way down. Ryder called for Marshall.

"Marshall! Can you get your ambulance truck? We need you to help us transport Chase to the vet." Ryder said to his dalmatian firefighter pup. Marshall wasted no time and brought his truck over to where Ryder and Katie waited, he didn't bother to change into his uniform. Once he parked his truck, Marshall opened the back doors and brought out the portable hospital bed. Ryder gently placed Chase onto the bed as Chase released small grunts of pain, it was obvious he was trying to hide them from the others. Now that he was finally accepting help and giving in to Ryder's orders, he'd finally realised how hurt he actually was. He was tried, dizzy, his whole body ached and more than anything, he felt guilty for wasting his friends time. Though his friends were more than happy with helping him with anything.

Marshall hated watching his best friend in such as uncomfortable state. He slowly shut the back doors and hopped in the front seat and began to drive. On the way to the vet, Marshall's ambulance truck sounded it's alarm to tell other drivers on the road to make way, it signalled to them that this was an emergency. Luckily for the Paw Patrol, majority of the citizens in Adventure Bay were kind and understanding, so they immediately moved out of the way for the Paw Patrol ambulance truck to go by.

They eventually reach the vet, which was where Katie assisted the older staff members. They backed the ambulance into the garage of the vet, which was where all the ambulance vehicles parked. Ryder lifted Chase out of the back and followed Katie through to an empty room filled with vet equipment. A countertop with a blanket stood in the middle of the room, waiting for the next patient, which was Chase. Ryder gently placed him down and Katie positioned her scanner in front of the police pup and prepared for x-ray (I know that's not how actual x-rays work but this is FanFiction, anything's possible). Marshall entered the room and sat in the corner, hesitant to walk over to the two humans and his best friend.

Chase whimpered Marshall's name with his muzzle aimed at the black and white spotted pup. Ryder noticed this and motioned Marshall over. Marshall ran over with both excitement and nervousness. Ryder lifted him up and positioned him on the counter with Chase. Katie had finished the x-ray and wrote down her notes on the computer to keep track of everything wrong with Chase.

Chase rolled more onto his side and pet the spot next to him weakly. Marshall walked over with his tail between his legs. He didn't know why he was doing this action of fear. I thought it might of been due to Chase seeming so... weak. Marshall laid down next his friend while facing him. Although his pained expression didn't show it, Chase felt a little more at ease with Marshall by his side.

"So there's good new and bad news." Katie informed.

"What's the good news?" Ryder asked as he pet his two pups.

"He doesn't have any internal bleeding, so he's not in a fatal situation." Katie said relieved.

"And the bad news?" Of course Ryder was happy about what Katie had just said, but she also said there was bad news, and it would be better if Ryder found it out sooner rather than later.

"He has four broken ribs on his right side and one on his left side. He won't need surgery but he'll be in a lot of pain due to the amount of ribs he broke. Since he has such a small body, it'll be more painful for him compared to a human because he was to walk on all fours whereas humans can walk on their two legs, so there's no pressure on their upper body. He can't wear his police vest since it's supposed to be a tight fit, no missions until he's fully healed. Or at least until his ribs are better. And the cut on his paw will eventually turn into a scar." Katie explained before she printed out a summary of all Chase's injuries for Ryder to take home.

Patient's Name: Chase

Cause Of Injury: Yet to specify. Maybe from previous mission. 

Injuries:
- Four broken ribs on right side
- One broken rib on left side
- Infected cut on front left paw (cream given to patient's guardian to treat infection)
- Bruises all over body
- Exhaustion

Staff Member Name: Katie

Ryder thanked Katie for her help and the medical equipment given for Chase. He carried Chase out of the room while Marshall followed behind them. They got to the ambulance truck and drove back to the Lookout. All the pups sat in their beds in the top of the Lookout, waiting for the three others to return. 

Ryder, Chase and Marshall reached the top and walked through in silence. Ryder placed the injured pup in his bed, which happened to be in the middle of all the other beds. Each bed had roughly a foot or two of space in between them. Each pup looked to Chase in sadness. He'd usually be running around with the rest of them, playing games and doing what kids would normally be doing. Not be lying down unconscious, recovering from a mission of almost been shot. Marshall laid down in his bed, which was closest to Chase.

"What did Katie say?" Rocky asked quietly.

"Few broken ribs, bruises, that cut on his left paw won't heal for a while. He won't be able to walk that much, or go on missions, or even wear his police vest because it's to tight." Marshall explained without looking away from the half-asleep Chase.

"So we'll help him with his jobs. And help him move around when he needs to." Rubble said, trying to seem positive. The others all nodded but froze when they saw Chase move a little. He didn't speak. He didn't open his eyes. All he did was reposition his head so it was closer to his body, making him look like scared and alone, which is exactly how he felt.