Chapter 6: "I Didn't Want to Seem Weak"

Chase reached the Lookout after he was called up by Ryder. He said Farmer Yumi's animals were missing and that Chase needed to come up asap. Chase covered his injuries with his uniform but the bags under his eyes were more than obvious. As the elevator went up, Chase readied himself. The doors opened once he reached the top and performed his normal leap to his position in front of the control panel with Ryder facing the screen. He landed with a wobble but quickly covered it up. 

"Ready for action Ryder sir!" He tried to say strongly but his hoarse voice got in the way. Ryder just continued to face the screen. "Ryder sir?" Chase asked. "Are you okay?" 

Ryder turned around. "You know that I chose you for a reason, Chase. Because you're such a determined and extraordinary little pup." Ryder complimented as he kneeled down. Chase smiled. 

"Thank you, sir. But why the compliment, may I ask?" Ryder gently pet Chases head. 

"I know what's been going on." He admitted. Chase looked nervous. 

"What do you mean?" He asked, pretending like nothing was wrong.

"I know you're hurt. And that you're tired because that's pretty obvious. But even after all this that happened to you, you still ask me if I'm okay. You put others first." He explained as he gestured to the bags underneath Chase's eyes. Chase looked down in shame. "Now let us put you first. Please, Chase. Let us help you." 

"But Ryder, I'm fine-"

"No, you're not. So let's take off your vest and see what's wrong. That's an order." Ryder commanded in a firm but kind tone. Chase stood still and looked at the floor for a couple of seconds but eventually agreed. Ryder helped him take off his uniform. Ryder was shocked. The bruises on Chase's left side were black and purple, a nasty scar was placed on his left front leg and he looked like he would pass out any second. "Why didn't you tell me?!" Ryder asked frantically.

"I wanted you to think I could do things on my own. I didn't want to seem weak." Chase said sadly as he laid down. Ryder sat down next to him. 

"I understand but you have to tell people when you're hurt. Otherwise it could get worse. And it clearly has... I'm calling Katie."

"Please, Ryder, I'm fine! Really!"

"Chase, stop. I care about you so much. You were my first pup. I love you. Now let me help you." Ryder pleaded as he rubbed Chase's head. Chase sighed then nodded. "Thank you." Ryder said before and stood up and walked over to the big screen. 

Chase watched him and asked, "what are you doing?" 

"We have to tell the other pups. They can help with your jobs so you can get as much rest as you need." Ryder said. Chase was about to disagree and but knew he wouldn't change the boy's mind.

"All pups to the Lookout. It's important." He called through the pups collar tags. His voice was lower than his normal upbeat positive voice. Less than a minute later, all the pups got up and jumped into their positions. "Thanks for hurrying up here pups. This meeting isn't for a mission. It's for Chase, he's hurt badly."

All the pups gasped except Marshall. A worried expression on his face instead. "So for a little bit, do you pups mind helping out with Chase's duties while he gets better?" Ryder asked, certain the pups would say yes. And they did.

"Absolutely!"

"Of course!"

"Anything to help Chase!"

"Thanks pups. Chase is just over there resting." He said as he gestured over to where Chase was lying down. "I'll call you up when there's a job or if something else comes up." The pups nodded as they turned back towards the elevator. They all gave saddened glances over to Chase who faced the other way.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Once the pups had gone, Ryder called Katie over to the Lookout to understand everything that was going on with Chase.