5:

Memories are strange things... like fragments of the past cut stray and loose. Only to return to their place at the most peculiar times, delivering their message that could be relatively crucial to the present.

They aren't clear... they're soft. Never as vivid as the past itself. A faint taste upon the tongue, the brief scent passing through the air...what prompts these memories is all so discrete, yet the mind can figure out so swiftly why this memory has come to pass.

I had not opened my eyes yet nor moved from my position but I knew the parkland's strong earthy scent of eucalyptus and the familiar sound of chirping crickets awake in the night. Faintly, there was the sound of a steady trickling flow of water that reminded me of the docklands and twisting riverways.

I let my eyelids roll open to a seemingly infinite stretch of darkness, it engulfed any clear form and took away the light. The stark chilling humidity of this place told me that the rain had come and gone. But what stayed was the eerie conclusion of the strange predicament I found myself in.

It was a cave, cool and barren. The echo of dripping water created a haunting symphony, matched with winds howling as they flew through nature's stony catacombs, whipping past the ears like whispers of the night. There was a far-away glow of the moon shining down a small entrance at least thirty feet above a rocky incline. Its faint light caught upon an open space of the cavern crowded with sharp jaws of ancient stalagmites and stalactites.

These were the 'Spike-hole' caverns, a place within marshy forestland and shrubbery not too far off the site of the parklands. It was a place many people have been to and attracted many tourists to the area. The last time I heard about this place, it was being banned for public exploration...

How I got to be here... wasn't through the fault of my own.

"Hello?... Is anyone in here?" A voice echoed through the caverns, weaving through all the little nooks of the place. The reverberation of the stone walls made it so I couldn't exactly pinpoint the source. This voice was somewhat familiar, so as nervous as I was...I called back to the voice.

"Hey! Whoever's out there, can you help me, please?... I don't know how I got here!" I swallow down the frantic urgency in my voice and anxiously wait for a reply as my echo travels through the caverns. The gruff gasp of a man whispered back.

"Shit shit shit! Who are you? you shouldn't be in here!" Above, some pebbles tumbled down from the rocky incline and landed by my sides. I raised my gaze to try and see if this man was up there but to no avail. "Okay okay, breathe Stanley...It'll be okay...just got to get her out... whoo~" The man, Stanley, speaks to himself.

"It's okay, I'm Stanley, I'm a park ranger. I'll help you out of here, I'll be there in a second...just hold on tight and please try not to move at all... got that?" the echo called, and a wave of relief washed over me. Heavy footsteps thundered from afar, in a similar direction as to where the voice trailed, as the man called again, I knew he was the owner of these footsteps.

"What's your name? Why are you down here? do you need me to call someone?"

I feel my forehead crinkle with stress in the question of whether this guy would believe what I told him. The oncoming memories were distorted, strange... almost like a dream.

"My name is (Y/N), I was with my friends... then something happened... it was all too quick for me to comprehend. and..." The pebbles skittered down the rocky incline again... making me feel nervous at what lay above in the bay of open moonlight.

"Your name is (Y/N)? (Y/N)(L/N)??" Stanley called louder than before with strain in his voice. "There was someone important asking about you over the radio... something about an attack at the train station."