19

"RUN!"

A swift oncoming of skittering footfalls treaded from behind and was thrown into two thin but strong arms, torn from Koda's terrifying transformation

With fleeting speed, I was carried, taken away as though I hadn't weighed a thing. My vision sways in a teary haze making it difficult to fully see my agile saviour.

All I could discern in the fast-paced blur was shining blonde waves flying and catching illumination.

"Melissa! This way!" Asher shouts from afar.

Melissa?

My hurrying courier slows and loosens her grip, gently setting me upright to hand me over to the group of three. My friends did quickly assist in my dreary state of blood loss, Stanley promptly hitched me onto his sturdy back and Asher tore herself off her green t-shirt, doing well to tie my cut-through arm tightly under the garment.

"Please, take her inside!" Melissa pleads to them, her otherwise light polite voice stunningly drenching with a boldness she didn't seem to be capable of. "Stanley, tell the Master that he's going through a bloodlust cycle and we need to protect the manor."

In my spinning vision, I decrepitly raised my head from Stanley's shoulder to see Melissa dashing towards the living epicenter of the garden's destructive chaos. My lips loosen in the fretting precarious confusion for her bravery.

Asher shouted to the maid. "What are you?-!"

The maid skipped to a stop and fell to her knees, her small frame hunching over and rapidly heaving in her pivot of hesitation. In her insecure attempt to face us, I finally understood what was transpiring without another word...

...For Melissa's profound blue eyes, flashing in our direction... began to glow.

"GO! NOW!" The maid screamed with a scratchy deepening volume.

Stanley tugs on Kina and Asher while steadying his grip on me. "C'mon!" He wailed, dragging them into momentum. I hissed swears with every supported step, throbbing amidst pain and the attaching despondency in witnessing Koda's dangerously gruesome metamorphosis.

We marched through a grassy clearing as a shortcut to another cobblestone path alongside the river. Nearing that monolithic bridge that connected our escape into the courtyard, an extreme pound of devastating force threw everyone out of step. The roars of two unmerciful opposing forces chased us throughout the gardens along with clear destruction by their hands.

The atmosphere throws out another compulsion, almost projecting Stanley and I to the ground in its power but we fell into a column of the bridge which caught our fall. A crackling burst has the electricity blow out and all the garden lights and blooms into rounds of red flares. A deafening rolling siren calls out as we get onto the bridge.

"There!" Asher quickly points up ahead to where some kind of group of fully armor-clad guards are receiving orders from Dr Levine in the courtyard. Two of the men chased out the meet us halfway and escorted us, with an eye out into the darkening gardens.

I barely hear them order us all into the manor, including Dr Levine. "All subjects are safe, one is injured." One guard reports in taking us through the manor. As we pass through the sunroom, he reaches the top of the doorway pulls down a metal screen, and locks it into place.

"Sir, Melissa says he's going through a bloodlust cycle," Stanley spoke, not knowing what he was talking about to him. I try to find my friend's faces clearly, but it's all sunken under a spotty blur. My gut retches in unease, sickness rising from within. I felt like my entire body was falling apart.