12:

Dr Levine had asked us to all gather in the broad living area outside the dining hall after we had refreshed ourselves and gathered our thoughts.

Although that period was set for everyone, including Melissa and the other staff, it felt like that breaking time was just for me. Everyone knew this was a lot for me to take in so soon. Melissa guided me through the hallways once again, but I was starting to finally find the way for I used the different oil paintings on the walls as a point of reference.

Okay, the mean-looking moustache man means I'm close to my bedroom, the posh lady with the doggo means I'm near the bathroom, and the old woman in the fur coat is close to the living area and dining room...rich people are weird.

We entered the spacious expanse, a comfortable dark toned area with warm red lamps adorning the walls. A freshly bandaged up Kina and well-rested Stanley were engaged in a silent battle of chess upon the desk at the windows, whilst an inpatient Asher voiced her obtuse opinions.

"Why can't you go there?" She pointed across the board.

"Knights only move in 'L shapes'" Stanley answered, taking his knight to knock a white pawn out of the game, only for Kina to retaliate with her black bishop. Asher chuckled.

"How fitting, as you are taking the L in this game, Stanley Stan."

"It's not my fault your friend just happened to be some kind of a genius!"

My friends welcomed me warmly, overtly going out of their way to avoid talking about the situation at hand while we conversed over the classic board game. Stanley took glances to me from his side, and I could tell Kina was using her peripheral vision to check up on me to avoid moving her healing head.

"So ah... did Dr Levine say anything else as I was gone?" I ask unconfidently, but it was more than enough to get the attention of the three. I look up from the board to see them being attentive to my words.

Kina smiled thinly and held a steady gaze towards Asher hovering over Stanley's shoulder. "...Asher told me to shut up about LE-001 in front of you." I looked to Asher as she reeled back in refusal, it seemed Kina's honesty had opened up yet another can of worms between us three.

"What?! No! I didn't tell you to shut up!" Asher refused, waving her hands about frantically. She looked to me and anxiously, unnecessarily feeling the heat of the pressure she put on herself to answer. 

"I just said we didn't know how you felt about talking about it yet seeing as you are his... 'you know'...compatibility?" Kina's voice trailed off on an awkward high pitch. When everyone's eyes fell on me, I heard Dr Levine's earlier words at breakfast roll through my mind again...

"You are what we call a Genetically Compatible Member Of the Public, or GCMOP."

"I know, it's strange... I can barely wrap my head around it either. But I shouldn't shy away from what Dr Levine has told me just because it's hard to talk about."

As much as the idea of this whole GCMOP thing nerved me with an unstable future ahead, I couldn't exactly avoid this connection I had to LE-001... with every thought of him, I felt it grow in strength. And even though I didn't know what I would expect out of him as I barely knew his character. But there was a deeply invested feeling I couldn't free myself from, the feeling of security knowing how he saved us from the NSA... the same association that's after him.

"Thank you for thinking of (Y/N), you are caring Asher," Stanley says.

Asher held quiet for some time, and her cheeks flushed with embarrassment. Asher knew she was always the more emotionally perceptive out of the three of us. Although she built up a witty and sharp exterior, it was all a deflection from the true soft little Asher only Kina and I got to see. But I guess Stanley was now getting a glimpse of it too.