17:

Dinner was well truly one of the most pleasurable dining experiences of my life.

Soon after the appetisers; entree and main course were all stuffed to the brim with food. But not just any food; prime cuts of juicy eye-fillet steaks, freshly fished squid and perfectly cooked crab, along with vibrant salads with remarkable vegetables I hadn't even come across at all were tossed together with delicious homemade dressing. There Mediterranian seasoned lamb, carrot puree soup, creamy wine sauced plates of pasta, gooey wood fried pizzas, pork chops with a rich raspberry preserve, Indian butter chicken... there were the best dishes from every continent on earth.

What was even better was that Dr Levine treated his staff to this dinner with the rest of us guests which created a bright atmosphere of homeliness, almost like I had known these kind strangers all my life. The staffers clinked the fine glasses and had enjoyed conversation with Asher, Kina and Stanley, who did well to mix with this lively group. I stayed in my spot next Ojwang as the volume of people seemed to have startled him.

"Are you okay, Ojo?" I asked gently, Ojo sucked in his brown lips and loosely shrugged his shoulders.

"I dunno." He says twiddling his fingers around. Ojwang's big round eyes seemed to linger on God knows what conspired today. I twist myself in the chair to face him, but his shy demeanour told me he didn't seem to want to face me. I breathe in and take gently Ojwang's smaller hand, rubbing it gently, biting my lip to question him.

"It's about the Hybrid, isn't it?" Ojwang blinks a couple of times, exasperated by my knowledge.

"Yes." He says quietly. "We found him one night by the cafe, He got used to us so Momma named him Koda." The young boy searches within himself, finding some kind of understanding amongst all of this. Now that he's starting to open up, I see this as an opportunity to find out more.

I scan up and down the dining table, seeing everyone enjoying their conversations, although, Kina was busy meddling with some kind of contraption in her hands. Dr Levine sipped on his wine while having a hearty conversation with his head chef, a man with olive skin and thick black hair and some kind of accent I couldn't pick up on.

"Wait here," I say to Ojwang, I  stand from my table and walk over to the two in conversation, patiently waiting for a place it pitches in only for Dr Levine to end it short just as I arrived.

"I uh, Ojwang is feeling a little overwhelmed, I was wondering if we could head out into the gardens for some fresh air."

"Of course! no need to ask dear (Y/N), I'll get David the groundskeeper to turn on the lights out there."

With that in place, I nodded my hand and went to get Ojwang, smiling at the thought of him seeing the incredible gardens. "Ojo," He looks up straight away and surveys my excitement. "There's a place we can talk, it's pretty cool and I want to show you it." Ojwang blinks twice then something within sparks some kind of intrigue.

"Okay."

We walk down the dining table until someone softly takes my hand, I look back to see Stanley. "Hey, did you two enjoy dinner?" He asks kindly, his hand still on mine.

"Yeah it was really good, I'm stuffed to the brim, we're just headed out to get some fresh air," I ask. Stanley smiles and raises to his feet. Stepping closer to Ojwang and I, I could see a little tint of pink in his scarcely freckled cheeks.

"I uh," He ponders. "Well sure, haha... Is it okay that I come with you?" Stanley asks peering down to Ojwang purses his lips nervously, his eyes darting away from Stanley as he holds my hand for comfort.

"You can come, but Ojo and I gotta talk." Stanley didn't question further and nodded his head so we all went off into the great halls of the manor, guiding ourselves to the southern wing where the garden grounds of Levine Manor lay.