8:

"Just...don't be afraid of your own shadow."

"...Don't be afraid of your own shadow..."

*knock knock knock*

"...Your own shadow..."

...My own shadow?

*knock knock knock*

I leisurely awoke to the gentle knocking of a hardwood door. My eyelids slowly wavered as a suppressed sound beckoned from the other side. 

"Miss (L/N)?" It was the delicate tone of a polite female. In trying to return back into the invitation of sleep, the whining twist of a door's handle alerted me to an oncoming presence.

A sharp ray of light cast into the darkened room, my eyes squinting as the harsh light cast directly upon my eyes. I groaned weakly with the uncomfortable abrupt awakening, rubbing at my eyelids to try and adjust. The silhouette of a tall and thin woman stood in the doorway, wearing long black gown tied with a white apron and her hair propped up into a tight bun on her head. She leaned down in a polite bow.

"I apologise to be a disturbance, A breakfast feast has been prepared for all the guests and the Master has called for your presence." 

This woman, I now understood to be a maid of sorts, silently stepped into the room and easily moved through the darkness. As I followed her carefully swaying form, I began to take notice of my surroundings; although all I could see was the faint outline of an expansive area with a pleasingly furnished living space next to tall draped windows.

The maid slowly rolled back these drapes and morning's light golden rays of sunlight illuminated the room before me, warming the bare skin on my face. The maid pivots from the high adorning windows and holds her hands dutifully behind her waist.

"The Master understands you may struggle to identify your current location considering the injured and tired state you were in upon your arrival last night. So he has called on me to make your morning as comfortable as possible and to answer any other questions you may have. My name is Melissa, and I'll be one of the maids serving you during your stay."

During Melissa's Introduction, I rose from the warm covers of the grand canopy-featured bed. I stretched my legs over the mattress and rubbed my fingertips across my forehead as I was adjusting to my new state of awareness.

"I'm sorry, Melissa." I say with a yawn, still being slow to get myself moving throughout her helpful explanations. "I was in the middle of a dream... I think." The maid bows once again.

"The Master has said he apologizes on my behalf for interrupting your well-needed rest, mentioning he hoped the feast we've prepared for you and your friends will suffice 'as a peace offering' of sorts." Melissa chuckles before coming to my side with a smile. "That's how he put it anyway." Now that the curtains were open and were letting in the morning light, I could get a better picture of the maid.

Melissa had a round plump face and skin but even on complexion, she looked at me with large bulbous blue eyes with a subtle hint of green throughout. Although the woman was thin, she had quite a fair amount of lean muscle prominent on her bare arms. I immediately saw her as a ballerina-type as it was easy to imagine her dancing as she already carried herself with such poise.

Melissa held up something between her hands and stretched it out for me to see. It was a thick (F/C) velvet robe, and on the floor beside my feet were matching color slippers. "When the Master says 'as comfortable as possible' he means it." She smiled.

Without too much hesitation, I eased myself into the slippers and let Melissa help slide to robe onto my arms. I spun around and tied it together, flattening the smooth fabric out to feel myself in every inch of luxury. Melissa chuckled once more, her spirited expression had me smiling.

"Perfect." The maid steps to the doorway and holds out her hand to escort me out into the mysterious lavish manor of Dr Levine. I follow her direction, with my mind regenerating memories of how I had gotten to be in this place.

"Just... don't be afraid of your own shadow."

Dr Levine's vague words stuck with me...and I started to think about what he could have meant that I had seen.

The shadowy of darkness of the caves, the black coating of the masked men...the way the world swirled out of color and faded with the intense vibrating roar of the parklands...and the large black leopard with its haunting yellow eyes bending the shadows around it to its will.

That was a hybrid.  And- He was my own shadow...

Was Doctor Levine inadvertently telling me not to be afraid of the leopard hybrid?

Why?