7:

"Stupid television. Too much advertisement, not enough...television." A young teenager voices to his mother, Lelita, who was in the kitchen vigorously washing the dishes in a bubbling sink. She places a white plate upon a basic metal drying rack and wipes her hands with a tea towel.

"Ah. A man who complains in this world is a wealthy man, Ojwang." She says with a tone of discipline, rolling her eyes out from his sight as he relaxes on the couch. "Remember where you came from, young one. A television was luxury in Kenya."

"Yeah yeah..." The boy dismissed and continued flicking through the channels to find some evening cartoons.

Unamused, his mother pursed her thick lips in frustration of her boy's comment. "Ojwang...do the rest of the dishes. I don't work all day to have you complain about what I dreamed for when I was your age."

The boy looked back over the couch, pleading with big brown eyes to his mother. "Mama, I was joking." His mother dropped the hand towel on the island's sink and looked to the boy disapprovingly with her hands to her wide hips. The fierceness in her eyes had Ojwang retreating from her with his hands up, showing he had given up.

"Okay, mama I'm sorry. I'll do it." He says, cautiously observing his mother's mood as he comes around to her. "You're right I'm sorry." He adds to try and see a change in her stern expression. The woman finally releases a long sigh, tossing the towel to the boy.

"Your words won't get you anywhere, boy. You can take out the trash once you're done too, don't complain about that either. I let you off too easy..." Lelita moves through the kitchen and swerves around the couch, settling into the comforting cushioning with a shimmy. 

At this moment, watching her son shuffle around the sink to take on her chore, she was still. Although the stillness of rest soothed her, relaxing in rare moments like this was something she had never got quite used to. Lelita takes the remote and starts flicking through the channels... inwardly agreeing with her son's previous complaints. She came across a news channel and left it on as the ads played.

In a deep breath cutting through the emptiness, her eyes moved down the hallway and to the front door. The space was shadowy and barren, nothing occupying it but a coat rack and a shoebox. She focused on that brass doorknob, eagerly waiting for it to twist and screech in the door's opening.

On the other, somewhere out there in and amongst the unknown was a figure who had turned Lelita and Ojwang completely upside down...but in doing so...also strangely fulfilled them.

"Do you know if Koda came home tonight?" She asks Ojwang, the boy stops washing the plate with the mention of the titular character. "I need to know where my medical book went...at least he's learning quickly." 

Here... try to look through these Koda...you recognized some words in the last few medical books... it is always a blessing to learn.

"He's been out all afternoon," Ojwang says in a pubescent crack. he looks down to the soapy water, but can't seem to focus on his chores when talking about this topic. "Do you think he'll be okay? He was kind of...wild. When he came to walk me from school." Ojwang mumbled quietly. 

Ojwang had grown quite fond of Koda. The certain man had made a recent habit of walking him to and from school when noticing the boy's bullies would target him on the way home. He smiled in recalling the way Koda's dangerous presence scattered the bullies staring them down with an animalistic glare. Soon after that, the school knew Ojwang to have a 'badass bodyguard' nobody wanted to face but everyone wanted to meet.

Lelita rubbed at her deep worried lines. "He's smart, he is. We've taught him what he needs to know about adapting... but creatures like him like to explore in the nighttime. It's normal for them."

"He's not normal though..." Ojwang muttered under his breath.

"Keep cleaning, boy." Lelita hissed as the news broadcast came back on.

We have breaking news now down at the Wagani-May Parkland Train Station where commuters have come across the grim discovery of a triple homicide not too long ago.

Witnesses claim as the rain started pouring, the end corner of the station's concrete platform was 'discoloring' and recalled that a strange odor flowed from in the general area.

When the witnesses looked above the surrounding trees, they came face to face with the horrific site of three severely mauled bodies hanging from the tree branches. Police say the investigation may go on far into the night, and the NSA is yet to confirm if this is indeed another hybrid attack.

The plate within Ojwang's fingertips slipped and shattered to the floor, pieces of the white ceramic flew around his feet. The boy's small chest heaved with a phenomenal force, fear, pulsing through his small body. He took to his mother who shared this gross shock, shaking her head in disbelief and beginning to mutter pained words in her mother tongue.

"Mama..." Ojwang called to her, unable to understand much of what she was saying. "You don't think that Koda..."

"I don't know my boy, I just don't know." She held her head as the scenes of the nearby suburban parkland rolled into the coverage.

Police are urging anybody who may know any information about this brutal attack to go into the nearest police station or speak to an officer on the following number...

*ding dong ding dong, dong ding ding dong*

"I think Koda's back home now, mama..."