4. Penelope

Resting her head on the desk in front of her, Penny wondered when it was going to end. She had been sitting in the Force office for six hours at this point, talking to officer after officer with nothing to show for it.

The first officer had taken the note from her, asking her questions about when she had made it home, what tie she found it, what she had done in the time between. No one she had talked to yet seemed to think it was that big of a deal.

Sighing, Penny sat up, looking around for the last person she had spoken to. Waving the person over, she waited for them to approach.

"So, what is going to be done? He obviously knows where I live and violated the restraining order."

"Since he hasn't been served yet, it's not really a violation. We will try to get someone to serve him tomorrow-today, but right now there's not much we can do."

"And what about my safety? How am I supposed to go home and go to sleep now?" Penny demanded.

"I'm sorry," the woman said, "but besides giving you a permit for a bodyguard, there's nothing else I can do."

"Bodyguard?" Penny asked, perking up.

"Yes. I can give you a permit to hire a guard to protect you if you feel the need for one. Even an Alpha if you want," the woman said.

Nodding her head, Penny said, "Yes, definitely. An Alpha."

Giving her a serious look, the officer told her, "Remember your dynamic. As an omega, it will seem natural to defer to the Alpha, but you are the one in charge. If you are close to going into heat..." she trailed off as Penny shook her head.

"I use suppressants. No chance of going into heat."

Nodding, the woman continued. "Well, just in case, if you choose to bond with an Alpha make sure you file the proper paperwork first so there aren't any issues. I'll go grab the forms you need and a list of places you can find trained Alphas."

Feeling a spark of excitement, Penny waited for the woman to return. Adrian had always pretended to be an Alpha but was actually terrified of them. Hiring one to protect her would be the best way to keep him away.

Signing the forms and taking the list from the officer, Penny stood and stretched, feeling the exhaustion dragging at her after being awake almost twenty-four hours. Deciding that she still didn't want to be at her apartment alone, she called for an AutoCab to take her to the gym she usually used so she could at least shower. She always kept a spare set of clothes there for emergencies, so she figured she would clean up and get changed before checking out the first place on the list.

Two hours later Penny was slipping into the back of another cab to take her to The Haven. Listed as one of the places with trained Alpha guards, she was a bit surprised when she was dropped off at an omega tending facility.

Shrugging to herself, she limped to the front door, marveling at the beautiful gardens surrounding the building. Making her way across the blue tiles to the receptionist, she gave a friendly smile to the seemingly perfect woman behind the chrome desk.

"Welcome to the Haven, how can I help you?"

"I'd like to speak with someone about hiring an Alpha," Penny told the smiling woman.

"Do you have an appointment?"

"Umm, no. I'm sorry, do I need one?"

"No, that's fine. What is your name please?"

Giving her information to the woman, she finally told Penny to take a seat until someone called her back. It wasn't long before a woman in scrubs that matched the back wall opened the door.

"Penelope Praine?"

"Yes, that's me," she said, standing and beginning to limp towards the door.

"Oh, let me help you," the woman said, pulling a wheelchair from inside the door she had come from and pushing it over.

"Thank you so much! This thing makes me so slow!"

"Oh, it's okay. I'm Ms. Burrie, are you here to see our stud selection today?" the woman asked.

Confused, Penny said, "No, I need to hire a bodyguard."

"I'm sorry," came Ms. Burrie's voice from above her head. "Let me take you to Ms. Haranne."

Rolling down a sark white hallway, Penny was taken around a few corners before rolling to a stop outside of a closed door.

Knocking on it, Ms. Burrie called out, "Ms. Haranne?"

A muffled response from the inside had Ms. Burrie turning the knob and peeking inside.

"I have an omega that would like to hire a bodyguard," she said into the dark interior of the room.

With how bright the lights in the hall were, the inside of the office seemed like a cave from what Penny could see. Missing what was said, the door was opened wider as Ms. Burrie pushed her into the dimly lit room and left her before a large mahogany desk. Seated behind it was a petite, dark-haired woman only slightly older than Penny.

"So, you're looking for a bodyguard?" the woman asked after they studied each other for a moment.

"Yes. I have an ex who is stalking me at home and work. The Force recommended hiring a bodyguard," Penny responded.

"Have you thought about the consequences of hiring an Alpha?" Ms. Haranne asked.

"I am on suppressants and not at risk of going into heat, and my ex is terrified of Alphas. What other consequences are there?"

Ms. Haranne snorted, a smirk pulling up the corner of her lips.

"Well you being on suppressants takes care of the most important issue. Did the Force give you a permit?"

"Yes," Penny replied, pulling the form out of her purse and sliding it over the desk.

Looking it over, Ms. Haranne hummed.

"This will allow you to hire one, but you have to sign a contract stating that you are responsible for anything that happens. While I assure you, my Alphas are trained and as well behaved as possible, if he has to stop someone there may be property damage as well as physical injuries that you will be held responsible for. They all know what is allowed by law and will do whatever it takes to protect you."

"That sounds perfect. I doubt anything will really happen, but I need someone for my peace of mind."

Nodding, Ms. Haranne said, "I understand completely."

Standing, she walked around her desk.

"Let me call in the head of my security team, he will know who would be best for this."