8. Penelope

"It's okay, you're already carrying all those bags," Penny said as Ethan held out his arm to her again.

"This is nothing. I could carry all this, you, and still run all the way to the top of the building. Probably wouldn't even break a sweat," he said with a wink and a grin that showed off his even, white teeth.

Chuckling, her eyes skimmed over the broad muscles of his chest and shoulders that she could see through the suit he wore. He probably was perfectly capable of what he claimed, and she couldn't help the tingles in her core that followed the thoughts of what it would take to get him drenched in sweat.

Taking his arm, Penny hobbled into the building beside him, pressing the button for the rattling metal box to come pick them up. Stepping in, she turned and pushed the four, holding her breath as the elevator rose.

Looking at her with a raised eyebrow, Ethan asked, "Claustrophobic?"

"No, I just hate the, ugh, bounce there at the end when my stomach catches up with me," Penny replied, placing a hand on her stomach as the feeling of nausea surged up her throat just before the doors slid open.

"Ah," was his only response, turning his head to look down the hallway before them.

Directing him to her door, Penny dug out her card, sliding it through before typing in her code.

"Since you'll be here for a while and may need to get in and out, I'll have a card made for you tomorrow."

"There's no need, I'll never be going anywhere without you."

Looking up at him as they stepped into her apartment, Penny felt a wave of peace flow through her. She didn't have to worry anymore because he wasn't going to leave her alone. He would be there to protect her.

Clearing her throat and looking away, she sat her bag on the side table.

"Well, this is it," she said, moving down the hall to the kitchen.

"I'm sure you can tell what this is. I generally eat at the island or on the couch in the living room. You don't happen to cook, do you?" she asked, looking up at Ethan with what she knew was a hopeful expression.

"Only minute noodles, microwave dinners, and other items that need nothing more than reheated."

Smirking at her obvious pout, Ethan shrugged.

"Alpha-camps always have a cafeteria. Easier for them than providing every unit with a kitchen."

Narrowing her eyes at him, she turned and used the wall for support to limp into the living room.

"This is the main area, feel free to make yourself at home. The guest bedroom and bathroom are down that hall to the left, my room is the door there on the right," Penny said, pointing to each. "Now, let's eat!"

With a grunt, she plopped down on the couch, sinking in a bit as she leaned back and swung her leg up to rest the boot on the coffee table. Eyeing her, Ethan sat the bags of food on the table before straightening back up.

"I'm going to go put my bag in the room," he said with a gesture behind him towards the hall.

Penny nodded, already leaning forward to dig through the bags for what she had ordered for breakfast. It only took a few sniffs to follow the scent of butter and sugar to the container of French toast piled with powdered sugar, strawberries, and bananas. She figured if she was going to ruin her diet, she was going to go all out.

Not willing to get up to get a real fork, she grumbled under her breath about the crappy plastic one as she tried to cut off a bite of the toast. Moaning as the buttery flavor melted over her tongue, Penny scarfed down all four pieces and moved on to the bacon and eggs she had ordered before Ethan returned.

Noticing the empty container next to the one she was in the middle of demolishing, he raised his eyebrows.

"You weren't kidding," he commented when she looked up at him.

Narrowing her eyes, she let out a light growl as she stuffed another piece of bacon into her mouth. Noticing how his eyes lingered on her lips, Penny swallowed hard, her own gaze wandering to his. They were full, but not overly so, and looked firm. The light dusting of stubble just enough to give his face that rough, manly look.

Tongue darting out to lick the sugar from her lips, she watched his eyes darken before they lifted to hers.

"Did you leave any for me?"

It took her a moment to process his words, pulling herself back from the dirty thoughts running through her mind. Looking down into the container that only had a few bites left, she felt a flush creep up her cheeks.

"There's two more bags of food. Take whatever you want."

Her eyes met his again at her last comment, and she swore she saw a flash of something predatory in his look that caused the hair on her entire body to stand on end. She held his gaze until the weight of it finally forced her to give in, her omega instincts acknowledging the Alpha's superiority no matter what society wanted to believe.

Pulling her leg off of the table and standing, she brushed at her chest self-consciously to be sure there were no crumbs stuck on her. She had more curves than the average woman, and her chest unfortunately caught anything that missed her mouth.

Watching Ethan's eyes wander down her frame, she sucked in her stomach, well aware that most omegas were slimmer than her full-figured body. Flushed and confused, Penny looked down at the table before bending to grab her containers.

Refusing to meet his eyes, she said, "I'm going to try to get some sleep. Make yourself at home."

She could feel the heat of his gaze on her until she turned into the kitchen. Dropping her trash in the receptacle, she took a deep breath before leaving the safety of the dividing wall separating her from his view. Raising her head and staring straight ahead, she limped to her bedroom, seeing Ethan from the corner of her eye still standing where she had left him.

Watching her.

Ethan was going to protect her from Adrian, but who was going to protect her from him and the heat building between them?