7. Ethan

He knew she was leaving out part of what had happened, but he figured if it was important, she would have told him about it. He didn't expect her to open up to him about everything. Ethan couldn't help but hope to run into her ex. Preferably without her, or anyone else, around. Due to legal constraints, he was limited in what he could do without repercussions, but he would make sure the beta never thought about Penelope again without pissing himself in fear.

Trying to keep his anger under control so he didn't flood the car with aggression, Ethan clenched his fists and forced himself to take deep breaths. He had been taught from the time he presented as an Alpha to control himself, but that didn't mean it was easy.

"Is there anything else I should know?" he managed to ask.

"I've been told I snore loud enough to shake the house and eat more than an Alpha."

A surprised laugh escaped him. Shoulder's relaxing as he stared into Penelope's caramel colored eyes, it took a moment for him to free himself from their depths and respond.

"I highly doubt that's even possible."

An impish grin crossed her face as she ducked her head and peeked back up at him from beneath her lashes.

"I know! I'm far too adorable to ever snore! It's completely un-lady-like."

Chuckle rumbling his chest, Ethan studied his temporary employer. He was a bit surprised at how well she was taking what had happened to her. Considering the purple marks he had noticed marring the smooth skin of her throat, he would have expected an omega to be far more subdued, and certainly not cracking jokes. 

"Speaking of food, I'm actually starving. I say we stop and grab breakfast before going to my apartment, if that's okay? I'm not in the mood for the healthy crap at my house."

"If that's what you want to do, you're the boss," he said with a shrug.

"What do you like?" she asked, looking up at him as she leaned forward to type in a new stop.

"Don't worry about me."

Eyes narrowing, she typed something into the console before sitting back again with her arms crossed.

"Look, I know the stigma against Alphas and everything, but you could be stuck with me for a while, and I can't handle the whole boss-client act. Or the stoic Alpha crap. You have thoughts and feelings, likes and dislikes, just like the rest of us humans. You can tell me you don't like Chinese or cheese."

Snorting, he couldn't help the smile that tugged at his lips at her little tantrum. She was adorable though he doubted she was trying to be.

"What human doesn't like cheese?"

"I know, right? That's exactly what I said! They can't possibly be human if they don't like cheese."

Penelope beamed up at him, seemingly over her tantrum just as fast as it started. Head spinning a little at the mood swings, Ethan wondered if it was just an effect of the lack of sleep, or if she was usually like this.

"I don't like fish," he offered.

Nodding, her smile continued, and he couldn't get enough of it. It wasn't something he was used to.

"Now that is perfectly normal. I don't like most fish either. I like salmon and crab legs, but I can live without any other kind of seafood."

"It's supposed to be good for you."

The dirty look she gave him had him laughing again. He couldn't remember the last time he had laughed this much and was shocked at how easy it was with her.

"Kale is supposed to be good for you too, but you won't see me eating that crap either."

The AutoCab pulling to a stop outside of a small dinner distracted him from what he was about to say. Telling Penelope to wait, he climbed from the car and came around to her side, opening her door as he scanned the sidewalk and what he could see of the inside of the building.

"The cab is set to wait," she told him as she took his hand and swung her boot out of the car before carefully standing.

Her hand was smooth and warm, and he couldn't help the image that popped in his mind of her holding a different part of him that was considerably larger in her small palm.

When she released him to limp towards the door, Ethan offered his arm to help her, shaking his head to clear the image. She smiled at him as she placed her arm through his even though he could see a blush rising up her cheeks too.

"Do you come here a lot? Would he think to check here for you?" he asked as he reached out and pulled open the door for her.

Penelope thought for a moment before she shook her head.

"I don't think so. I've come here a few times, but not regularly enough for someone to look for me here. It's too far from where I usually am at this time of day."

With a silent nod, he walked her up to the counter and waited to be noticed by the staff. It didn't take long, and soon he was listening to Penelope place her order, eyebrows raising at each additional thing she added on. By the time she was done she had ordered about five meals worth of food, and when her eyes moved up to his and noticed his expression, her cheeks flushed scarlet.

"I'm hungry, and I figured you would want something before I wake up again, even if you say you don't now. This should get us through lunch," she mumbled as she ducked her head back down to stare at the counter.

Shaking his head as he chuckled, Ethan turned back to watching the people in the restaurant and those passing by outside. No one seemed to linger or pay any special attention to Penelope, but it was still better to be alert than to let his guard down on a maybe.

It didn't take long for the person who had taken her order to come back to the counter with three large bags straining around the containers of food crammed inside. Taking them in one hand before Penelope could even reach for the bags, he offered his arm to her again and they made their way back to the AutoCab.

The ride the rest of the way to her building went by silently with the scent of bacon and something sweet filling the car. He could hear her stomach growling as she shot glances at the bags of food in between her head nodding like she was falling asleep.

When the cab stopped outside of a small apartment building, small meaning it only had ten floors and took up a single block, Ethan jumped from his seat, snagging his bag from the trunk as he rushed around to help Penelope out.