014

I sat in the truck for what felt like forever. I saw Joyce behind the counter through the window of the store, assuming this is where she worked. I watched them as they talked, and her facial expressions didn't make it seem she was too thrilled to hear what he was saying. 

PitPat was getting anxious, he was wiggling around and trying to get out of my arms. I felt bad because he didn't like being in the car and probably was getting ancy. I looked around, seeing that there wasn't really many people, and there was a strip of grass by the sidewalk, so I figured I could let him walk around if I stayed close to him.

I unbuckled my seatbelt, and got out, hugging PitPat as I walked to the grass. I sat him down, and he didn't really move much. He kind of just stood there and looked around, taking a few steps here and there. He was a little on the chubby side, he for sure wasn't an active cat. I just stood above him and watched him mind his business. I looked up to the store to see Hopper walking to the exit, I looked back down to scoop up PitPat but when I went to look at him, he was gone.

"What the hell- PitPat!" I immediately called for him. In a panic I frantically looked around for him, spinning around to see him running to an ally next to the store. "God dammit, PitPat." I said out loud, starting to run over to him.

As I started running I heard Hopper yell my name from behind me. "Victoria, what the hell-" 

I spun around. "PitPat ran." I said back, turning back around to follow him.

"Victoria." I heard a familiar voice say as I bent down to pick PitPat up. I quickly looked up, seeing my dad walking my way.

"Dad...hey." I said, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"Haven't seen you in a minute, huh?" He chuckled.

I didn't visit my parents often. They lived in town, and my dad owned a small bakery down the road from where we were. I just found it hard to socialize with them.

"Yeah, sorry, I've been busy and such." I shrugged, hugging PitPat.

"I can see that." He said, his eyes shifting to my arm. "What happened there?"

"Uh, hiking accident." I said, quickly changing the conversation. "So, what are you up to?" I tried to start conversation, trying not to be rude even though I heard Hopper approaching me from behind.

"Just some grocery shopping..." He trailed off as I heard Hopper stop behind me. I didn't even care to look behind me. "Hey there, Chief."

"Nice to see you, Denver." Hopper said in response. I was silently praying Hopper wouldn't mention anything about me being with him. "Don't mean to steal her from you, but Victoria and I are kind of in a hurry this morning." He said.

Dammit. Why the hell would he say that? How was I supposed to explain running around with the chief of police with my cat, in my sleep clothes?

My dad raised his eyebrows, looking at me before looking back at Hopper. "Oh... well, was nice seeing you, Jim. We should catch up soon." My dad said in an uncomfortable tone. "Same to you, child." He said jokingly to me, surprising me by asking no questions.

"Will do, see you later." I smiled, giving him a hug.

He hesitated before turning around, walking the direction he came from. I held my breath as Hopper and I watched him walk away for a moment. I then slowly turned around to look up at Hopper who looked down at me, not so happy.

"Good going." He grumbled, turning around to walk to the truck. "Come on."

I didn't say anything, walking behind him like a dog with its tail between its legs. We got in the truck silently, not saying anything until he started driving down the road.

"So, now what?" I asked.

"I am dropping you off at my place." He said simply.

"What?" I said, looking at him.

He paid no attention to me, only the road. "Something confusing about that?"

"Why are you taking me there?" I asked. "Wouldn't they find where you live if you're a suspect?"

"They don't know where I live. Trust me." He said much colder, his expression changed.

I got some vibes that were not to be discussed, so I left it at that.

"So, I get to just sit at your house all day?" I scoffed.

He didn't reply. I looked at him and waited for him to say something, but he didn't, he just drove. I sighed, shifting in my seat a little bit. I mean, he wasn't in a good mood before by any means, but his moods seemed to just have drastically changed when I started talking about his house.

___

I know, all these filler chapters are annoying. Things will pick up soon.