(1) - Back in the hole

ACE NEVER THOUGHT SHE WOULD BE back in this hole. But here she is, in Rykers. Her real name isn't Ace, it's Roseana. Not that she would tell anyone that. She's been thrown into Rykers a countless number of times, but this time it's different. She isn't in one of those typical tiny cells that have the bare minimum. She's in a cage. Like a trapped tiger or lion.

She didn't even do anything wrong. The only good thing is the espresso machine. Ace loves a good sugar rush and she knows they're trying to lower her guard. Ace gets bored easily, she's been here no longer than a week and wants to leave. So she will. "Play with me, I'm bored..." She whines at the man's back and he turns around, his face angry.

"Shut up Ace!" He yells and she giggles at his tone.

When she places her hands on the metal bars of the cage she can hear the hum of the electricity. But they don't affect her, "Hey! Watch this!" She shakes violently and laughs the entire time, the current doing nothing to her. The guard pokes her with his electric poker and it does nothing.

"What the hell?" He asks and Ace just smirks.

She pulls the sheet she had behind her back out and pushes the homemade noose around his neck. Ace runs and jumps onto the other end to pull him in the air, to choke him. "Now that wasn't too hard, was it?" She asks the (now) dead man and fishes through his pockets. Searching for the keys to her cage. Before she leaves she grabs her journal and the man's pistol. It definitely wasn't Ace's custom pistol but it would make do.

THE SALTY OCEAN AIR IS burning Ace's lungs. Escaping Rykers is rather easy if you're the Ace of Hearts. Ace has been returned to her former glory, she's got her weapons and outfit. The whole ensemble. There's just one thing, her motorcycle. "It's probably at the impound." She thinks aloud as she hides in a small hole in the side of the island known as Rykers.

She knows not to go to the police compound in the broad daylight. But she wants her motorcycle; her baby. Her one true love... at least she thinks it is. Ace can't seem to remember anything except for being Ace and her life of cat burgling. Ace doesn't steal because she needs the things she takes, she does it for fun, and for money.

She tends to sell what she takes on eBay anyways.

For Ace; escaping the prison building was easy, the island? Now that is a different story. You see, Ace cannot swim and if she jumps, she dies. And Ace sure as hell can't float. But, her 'criminal' friend Seph told her about the tunnel system that connects right back to the mainland.

Seph only found it when she helped Ace escape last time. Ace was unsure where Seph was right now, "Probably hunting bounties like she always is." Her accent accentuated as she's breathless from the relentless winds of the sea. Some would say Ace is lucky her friend found these tunnels; by chance. Ace just isn't an idiot and told Seph to look on the west side of the island and there it was. The opening to the tunnels. Ace begins the descent down the jagged rocks.

In the singular blindspot, the guards and cameras have. It's like they're asking Ace to escape with this blindspot so obvious. She knows she has around ten minutes before they notice she's gone and it's been about two. Ace hops down into the hole, knowing this is the entrance to the cave the opens into the tunnels. She walks over to the metal door and sees there's a lock in place and recalls what Seph told her.

"Just in case another one of those bastards find this, don't want Amy from block C to find ya,"

That made enough sense to Ace but she wanted her enemies to find her. The truth was; Ace loved a good game of cat and mouse, the 'cat' thinking Ace was the mouse but she was just waiting for the right time to release her claws. Ace takes a couple of steps back and swings her bat back to break it.

The lock breaks with ease and she pulls the rusted door open. If they knew to put this door here, why isn't it guarded? Even though Ace had Seph's help last time when she tried to contact Seph she wouldn't answer... what a shame. She begins the long walk back to the mainland and can hear the faint sound of waves crashing fading the further away from the opening she got.

Ace grabs the flashlight she snagged and turns it on, she cringes at the sight of the murky water at her ankles. She couldn't find her shoes so she had to grab some shower flops and they were basically useless. She kicked them to the side since if she had to run they would just slow her down. She continues walking for about five more minutes when the distant sound of sirens makes her smirk.

Suddenly the light flickers, she ignores it. Next thing Ace knew; it was dark. She was in a tunnel, in a few inches of some suspicious-looking water, in the dark.

"Fuck!" She yells in pain when her head hits something hard. Her hand pats the metal in front of her and she realizes it's a ladder. There is no way she walked like five miles in less than an hour. She looked around suspiciously before pulling herself up the ladder.

The sound of cars zooming by confuses her. She's still in New York? Right? The traffic was always terrible so it didn't make any sense that there were cars driving that fast...unless they were police cars. She listens harder and hears sirens, "Well, I betta hurry up then!" She pushes the manhole cover out of the way and a police car drives over the hole causing her to duck her head down; just in time.

Ace clambers up as fast as her wet feet will let her and runs into the nearest alleyway to avoid being seen. Which would prove to be difficult in her bright blue and red-clad outfit. Her jacket was half and a half; one side a royal blue, the other a blood red. Her hair was the same, one ponytail blue and the other red, and so on. She looks both ways before climbing up the fire escape to get off the ground.

"Time to cause some chaos!" She giggles to herself.

Author's Note:

FINALLY!

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of Ace of Hearts, this is gonna be a shorter story. Please vote and comment and I suggest you check out my other stories; Nocturnus and Introspection because they're all apart of a universe & series:

EARTH 76O4 - Heroic Hearts

I am so ready for this crazy ride with Ace because this is my first time writing a 'crazy' character so this book is a bunch of firsts!