(12) - Caught Up

ACE CURSED AT HERSELF AS THE screwdriver touched the side of the metal and zapped her. She's by herself since Natasha left to deal with "Avengers related issues" a few hours ago. Ace didn't feel inclined to ask too many questions since the past week has been hectic. With her realizing that she might love Natasha, them kissing, etc.

She still didn't understand how she managed to do this. "Damnit!" Ace shook her hand violently and tried to breathe slowly through her teeth and when she saw the long cut on her hand, she hissed in pain. Ace pushed her attempt at making heart-shaped Widow's Bites out of the way and held her hand as she made her way into the bathroom.

Flipping the light switch, she also grabs the first aid kit from beneath the sink. 

"Ow, ow, ow, ow!" Ace's voice is high when the cool water hits the long, but thin slice in her skin. Ace had a sudden moment of realization, "An abrasion... why do I know that?" She shakes her head at herself and holds a towel to her cut. Ace uses her teeth to pry open the first aid kit and grabs a bandaid. 

Ace smiles at her handiwork as she covers the cut with ease. "Perfect!" 

When she walks past the dark office she smirks to herself. Of course, she wanted to stir up trouble. Sitting at home all-day has been extra boring and extra nerve-racking. Ace has never been one to sit at home... being not in trouble. That isn't an ideal day to Ace, now, causing a ruckus and pissing some cops off sounds like a perfect day to Ace.

"Avengers stuff? Huh..." If only Ace could go to the Tower... "technically, I can." She's made her decision. She's going to go to the Avengers Tower, find Natasha, and... wing the rest. Ace isn't an idiot, so she decides to come up with a plan. "Where is my pen?!" Ace tosses her journal onto the couch and hears something small clatter.

She jumps down onto the ground to look underneath the couch. "Ah-ha!" Ace reaches under the couch and scrunches her nose when her arm pops out of place. She feels no pain as she grabs the pen, then pushes her arm back in place casually. She clicks the pen on the floor, grabs her journal and haphazardly writes a plan for breaking into the Avengers Tower.

 She clicks the pen on the floor, grabs her journal and haphazardly writes a plan for breaking into the Avengers Tower

"Perfecto!" Ace claps her hands and slides the piece of paper into her jacket pocket. She stands up and gears up.

ACE SCOWLS AUDIBLY AT THE DOOR she's been trying to hack into for the past ten minutes. She's genuinely surprised that nobody has tried to stop her from breaking into the Avengers Tower. The sound of a click meets her ears as she taps the lock on the screen again. It sounded like the lock. The door opens with ease when she pulls on the handle and Ace smiles widely. 

"Badabing, badaboom," She murmured in a hushed voice as to not gain unwanted attention. Ace felt a vague familiarity surrounded the white walls and the bright lights. She didn't like the feeling but chose to ignore it like she always does. Ignoring one's feelings is much, much easier than facing them head-on.  

Ace hears something scraping on the floor and hides behind a tall fake plant. She didn't expect to see Tony Stark skating down the hall in what seemed to be Heelys while talking on the phone and eating a piece of undercooked toast. She makes a quiet sound of exclamation and he seems to hear it because he whips around.

She freezes in place, nervous. She wasn't expecting to be caught and the piece of toast falling out of Tony's mouth shows he wasn't expecting a visitor. "How did you–?" He's gaping like a fish as Ace stares at him with wide eyes, frozen in place like a kid in a game of Freeze Tag. She's always hated that game because the idea of being stuck terrifies Ace.

"Hi!" Ace's voice sounds nothing like Ace's voice as she continues to stare at Tony. They stare at each other and Tony occasionally looks toward the way that Ace came from before gaping at Ace again. After a few minutes of the staring Tony reaches down to grab his toast which causes Ace to pull her gun on him purely based on instinct.

Tony puts up a finger, "No! I saw what that thing did to Natasha– if you shoot me I–" Ace lowered the gun. "How did you get in here?" Tony's voice sounds frantic as Ace debates if she should tell him how she spent under a half an hour figuring out the firewall and climbing the side of the building. Heights terrified Ace but she loves to test herself.

But water is a completely different issue.

"I hacked the door, duh!" She sounds proud of herself and she is. She managed to get through the Tony Stark's security. Tony's eyes widen before he mumbles some incoherent words to himself. 

"Want a drink?" 

ACE NEVER THOUGHT THAT SHE would be drinking, with an Avenger, in the Avengers Tower, and enjoying herself. "So, how again did you get through my security?" Ace rolls her eye as she twirls the mini umbrella in her red and blue– cherry and raspberry –cocktail. 

"I am not explaining myself any– Puddin!" Ace exclaimed upon seeing the stunned Natasha Romanoff watch as Tony and Ace argue about how she got in. 

Natasha takes a deep breath, "Please tell I'm dreaming that you're drinking with Tony Stark- in the Tower -at noon-" Ace shakes her head no. 

He chuckles as he downs his drink, "She's quite nice, you know– for a criminal." Ace's smile dropped. 

"I am not just a common criminal. I'm special!" Ace knew she sounded like a child but didn't care. She hates when others try to categorize her like all the other criminals. "I am a cat burglar, duh!" Once again, Ace assumed this was common knowledge.

Tony looks at Natasha, "How exactly do you know her again?" He hands Ace his glass and she gladly refills it. "Wasn't that you caught her stealing... and then let her go? Or when she shot you?" Natasha's jaw twitches in irritation.

"Neither- we're leaving." Ace shakes her head no. "I just got caught up doing work- come on," Natasha grabs Ace's wrist and begins pulling her toward the elevator. Ace snatches her drink up and begins scooping the slushie into her mouth with the umbrella. 

Ace smiles at Tony, "I love this guy!" Tony gives her finger guns before drinking the rest of his drink. "Oh! I also love your shoes!" Natasha just keeps dragging Ace out of the common area. Sure, Ace didn't save Natasha but Ace is beyond used to Nat saving her. 

"But it was my turn to save you!" Ace exclaims as the elevator doors slide shut.

Author's Note:

Thank you guys for almost 3.5k reads! I wasn't expecting such love for my crazy Ace's story. And it means a lot to me. Have a wonderful day and have a happy rest of the week! I will be writing as much as I can so I can finish this baby before 2020!