(14) - Thought you were American

ACE DIALED THE NUMBER FOR the pizza place and twirled the cord around her pale fingers. "What do you want on your pizza, Nat?!" Ace shouts into the doorway.

"I don't care! Just no mushrooms!"

Ace nods, agreeing. "Bonj- sorry," The voice on the other end is accented. French, Ace guesses. "Hello, Leo's Pizza. How... may I help you?" Their voice is tentative, almost nervous to be speaking English. They sound worried that they're going to mess up.

"Ça va. Je connais le français. Je voudrais deux pizzas au pepperoni, une avec une croûte farcie. Et ... la croûte d'ail." (It's okay. I know French. I would like two pepperoni pizzas, one with stuffed crust. And... garlic crust.) Ace doesn't know why she knows French but speaks it with fluency and ease. With confidence.

"Merci. Allez-vous payer par carte de crédit ou en personne?" (Thank you. Will you be paying via credit card or in person?) Ace hums for a moment.

Ace answers quickly, "En personne, mon adresse est ..." (In person, my address is...)

ACE SCROLLED THROUGH HER PHONE as she held a slice of pizza in her other hand. Natasha swallows a bite before taking a deep breath, "I thought you were American." Her mouth was still full so Ace laughed since she sounded like the Vine.

"And I thought you were a lesbian." Natasha doesn't get the reference which causes Ace to sigh. "Do you not know what I'm referencing?" Natasha shakes her head no. "You uncultured fool." Ace doesn't remember much but she has spent a large amount of her time watching Vines. Sure, the app was killed a little over a year ago but Ace didn't mind using YouTube to watch them.

Ace stands up, saying nothing as she retrieved her laptop from the coffee table. "But how do you know French?" Ace shrugs.

"Dunno, I just do." Natasha smiles and Ace looks at her weirdly.

"Why are you smiling?" Her mouth was full of pizza as she typed in, 'Vine Compilations'.

Natasha looks at Ace as if urging her to continue, "Because that brings you closer to finding out who you are." Ace's nostrils flare, annoyed with Natasha's attempt at being nice.

Ace sets the laptop down and wipes her mouth. "I don't want to know who I am- no- who I was. I'm fine with me. Are you?" Nat nods immediately and opens her mouth to continue. "Nope, nevermind. I don't want to have another heart-to-heart. I will vomit if we do." Ace pulls the laptop on her lap and slides on the floor to sit against the bottom of the couch.

Scooting next to Ace, Natasha leans on Ace's shoulder. "What is-" Ace shushes Natasha as they begin watching an hour-long compilation.

NATASHA FOUND HERSELF STARING at the woman's face instead of the YouTube video. Nat just loved seeing the happiness in Ace's eyes. It wasn't something that Natasha saw much of anymore ever since her bike sunk to the bottom of that river. Nat enjoyed watching Ace's eyes light up as she murmured the words to the Vine.

Of course, Natasha has heard of Vine. She's seen numerous Vines because Nadia loves spamming Natasha with memes. It annoys Natasha but she's glad that Nadia still thinks of her from time to time.

"Why are you staring at me?" The video played quietly in the background.

Natasha smirked a bit, "I enjoy watching your expressions." Ace's eyebrows furrow. "It's a good thing, I promise. The things you like, you enjoy them so much. It's hard to see real joy these days..." Shaking her head, Ace turned the volume back up.

"Is that a weed?! I'm calling the police!" Ace exclaims like a child.

ACE KNEW SHE HAD CHILDISH TENDENCIES and watching Vines was one of them. There was just something inside of Ace that wanted- no, that needed to feel something youthful. Something real. But ever since she kissed Natasha, the only real feelings she felt were achings. Wantings. Stirrings! Ace laughed to herself.

The Giver was a book she read a lot. It's surrounding memories and Ace finds it ironic to read a story like that when she doesn't remember anything... give or take a few things. Ace soon finds herself dozing off and she closes her eyes to rest for a second. When she opens her eyes she isn't in the living room anymore.

She's sitting on the cold cement flooring of the hallway... afuckingain. "Oh my god, what this time?" Ace was beyond tired. Every time she's fallen asleep for the past four nights/days, she's been taunted. Forced to walk around in this hallway, with the doors just jarred open enough to see whatever was going on inside. But not enough to understand it.

Ace didn't like that she had no control over her body anymore. All this thinking was taking a toll on her and she had no control. It was like Rose was finally taking the wheel. But instead of Ace's hands being on the wheel, she was in the trunk while Rose drove Ace into madness.

Standing up slowly, Ace runs toward the end of the hall; expecting to reach the end of something. But it just continues, on and on. Never-ending. After a few minutes of sprinting, Ace notices something off about the door to her right. The door isn't a grey color like the rest of them, it's a bright blue. With a red handle. The grate on the window is gold, not steel.

This was the Ace of Heart's door. Ace gulps as she opens the door, when she does she doesn't expect to see the living room. With her and Natasha sleeping on the floor, cuddled together. "Get out of your head Ace, see the truth!" A man screeches at Ace and she screams in fear of his close proximity. 

She startles herself awake as she gasps for air. Her chest is hot and her backaches again. Natasha wakes up, her eyes are concerned. "Are you alright?" Ace doesn't answer as she scrambles off the floor and toward the patio door. Fumbling with the doorknob, Ace struggles to open the door. The door doesn't open and Ace decides to run into the kitchen with her hand over her mouth. 

Ace almost doesn't make it to the kitchen as she vomits in the sink. She groans loudly and lays her cheek on the cool marble countertop. "Ace?! What's wrong?" Natasha asks again and Ace shrugs. 

"I had the taste of lime in my mouth... and by god I hate limes." They're disgusting to Ace and she can't get the taste out of her mouth. "Oh god, my stomach..." She moans in pain as she pukes some more. Natasha wordlessly holds Ace's ponytails back and rubs the woman's back.

Author's Note:

The more I write, the sadder I get cause I don't want this to happen :( But anywho! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I'm prewriting the chapters so I can just hit "publish" whenever I wanna update this bad boy! I'm so excited to mark this as 'Complete'. !!! Have a wonderful week <3 Also, I just love the idea of Ace being a meme hoarder and her galley is full of memes and pictures of Natasha sleeping skshsks