(11) - Just Lucky

ACE KNEW SHE SHOULDN'T be doing it... but she didn't care. She picked up the necklace and smiled at it. It had a red gemstone, probably ruby. "Nat would love this..." Ace murmurs to herself.

"Put the necklace down," An accented voice threatens. Ace rolled her eyes and pocketed the necklace then turned around. "I won't ask again." Two girls stared at Ace.

One with blonde hair and the other with red hair and freckles. "You heard her! Get out of here lady!" The redhead spoke up.

Ace tsked her tongue. "Girls, girls, girls..." Her slight accent accentuated by her dead smile.

"She looks crazy... Alin–" The redhead is shut up when a flash of white light shoots at Ace, she jumps out of the way.

Her eyes are wide as she raises her gun at the young girl. "Here's what we are not going to do–" Ace stares into Natasha's eyes. "We are not going to kill my friend's little sister and her friend." Natasha smiles nervously.

Ace rolls her eyes and sighs, lowering her gun with it. "Move, Natasha." Alina glares at Ace with venom in her own blue eyes. Natasha's dressed in a pair of dark wash blue jeans, and a black workout jacket.

"She's friendly..." Natasha sounds unsure but Alina squints at Nat, reading her thoughts. When she sees that Natasha truly believes that Ace is good, Alina lowers her hands.

Alina turns to her friend, "Wait outside, Ariel." Ariel shakes her head no, Ace watches as the girls seem to have a conversation inside their heads.

"Who are you?" Alina questions, her arms crossed over her chest as Ariel leaves the jewelry store. Ace mirrors Alina's stance and Natasha sighs at their childish behavior.

It's fair that Alina is acting this way, she's still technically a child. "Alright! Adelina, go to school– the place you begged to go, and Ace... we have some things to talk about." Natasha orders them like their children.

"The alarms gonna go off, we all wanna be gone in... five seconds!" Ace cackles as she jumps onto the counter and into the open vent on the ceiling.

Alina sighs, "Who is she?" Her voice is sure.

"A friend of mine, just go to school Lina," Natasha orders once again and Alina actually listens. Natasha follows after Ace. When she jumps into the vent, the police park their cruisers outside the store.

Ace crawled through the vent with ease since she's so used to hiding that her body doesn't seem to mind cramped spaces.

"Rose! How the hell do you get out of here?!" Natasha hears Ace's laughter before a whoosh of air meets her ears. Something red flashed before Natasha yelped as she falls.

Ace is met with the sight of a clearly grumpy Natasha. They sit in the dumpster for a moment before Natasha gets out. "You should stop stealing." Ace scoffs at Nat's comment.

Grabbing the side of the dumpster, Ace hops out of the dumpster. She lands on her feet only a foot away from Natasha. "And you should stop being an Avenger," Ace retorts.

"What does that have to do with–"

Ace rolls her eyes, feeling pissy from her fun being put to an end. "It's the same thing, Nattie. My being a thief is just as important to me as you being an Avenger." Natasha's taken aback by how angry Ace seems.

Natasha grabs Ace's hand. "You couldn't survive without me." Ace thinks about it for a second.

"Well, I mean..." She blushes a little bit before feeling the necklace in her pocket. "I uh, I got you something." Ace pulls the necklace out slowly and jerks her hand out.

Ace grabs the hand that's holding her own and slowly drops the necklace in it. "What's this for?" Natasha whispers and Ace shrugs.

"Just a gift, cause you mean–" Both of their eyes widen at the sight of a police officer holding his gun at them. He makes a move to speak into his radio but Natasha throws a Widow's bite at his hand.

"Come on, Puddin'!" Natasha grabs her hand and Ace smiles widely as they run down the alleyway going further away from the store.

Ace releases Nat's hand to jump onto the fire escape on a neighboring building. Ace pulls Natasha up with ease and her strength surprises Natasha.

"Where to?" Natasha asks.

Ace 'hmms'. "Home." There's a spark of hope in her eyes and Ace thinks that she's finally found happiness.

She believes that she has found what she– no, what Rose was searching for– love. Ace's small smile turns into a grin as she takes into account what has happened in the past three-ish weeks.

Meet Black Widow, bested her in an epic smackdown, got saved by her (multiple times), kissed her (many, many times), and realized that she may– or may not be –utterly in love with that same Black Widow.

Sure, it hasn't been very long but to Ace... this (besides Persephone) has been the longest ongoing friendship/relationship that Ace has ever had in her low number of memories.

Of course, Ace could be imagining all of this and is really still in that goddamned cage on Ryker's Island but Ace couldn't think bad thoughts like that.

She turns her head to look at Nat and smirks as she jumps across an alleyway with ease. Natasha stops short and raises an eyebrow from the building across the opening. "Are ya scared?!" Ace taunts playfully.

Natasha doesn't answer, she just steps back a few steps and then runs toward the edge then jumps across. Ace can almost tell what's about to happen. She rushes toward the edge of her building, attaches a grappling hook under the railing and on her belt, then dives off the side.

She catches Natasha's wrist and sighs loudly when she does so. "And you couldn't survive without me–" Ace clicks the button on the grappling wire so they begin rising slowly.

"–now that we're even, you can stop saving me." Natasha climbs onto the roof first before helping Ace up.

"We are definitely not even, I've saved you what? Six times?" Ace rolls her eyes.

"Details, details!" She dismisses Natasha's suggestion that she won't stop saving Ace.

Natasha picks up the grappling hook, "Plus... if I keep saving you, then I have an excuse to stay around; waiting for my payment." Her voice is suggestive and Ace leans in to kiss her again.

She ends up kissing air because Natasha begins walking away, grappling hook in hand. Nat pulls on the hook, making Ace begin walking. Ace works on taking the hook off of her belt while Natasha basically walks her.

Author's Note:

To make up for the lack of updates, here you guys go! I should be updating all weekend because I have been granted permission to use my laptop tomorrow! Thank you for reading and voting!!