Will Our Youth Remain Only As A Memory?

Silverware clatters  from across the hall. Accompanied by whistling rumours and buzzing elders gushing about a pup's presentation. Seokjin treads the noisy hall with mindful gaze, pondering just deeply about the situation. 

It's clearly a tumultuous occasion- where one of their youngest members is able to shift into a ball of fur with unhidden canines. Now that the presentation no longer follows a pattern, Seokjin feels more pressure.

Will he present next? Or last? Whichever outcome appears, it only seems to align with stern judgement. The boy finds the thought meddlesome, thinks it's abrasive and inconsiderate. He knows they only mean well, but the demands are turning dour. 

Namjoon's pile of study materials are consistently increasing that he fears the books will topple over and hit his head. Yoongi is now being urged to perfect his music and pinpoint every off-key tunes by the raise of an eyebrow. Hoseok's restful nights at the nest is infested with unhealthy discussions for his future -will he be one strong alpha or wise beta? Seokjin surmises they haven't even entertained the idea of his brother presenting as an omega.

And dear heavens, the playful tension that once traversed safely in between Taehyung's smug antics and Jimin's mischievous offences - such a wondrous bond was slowly being passed on as a competition. The thin line is blurring like a lake in drought season. It grows serious each day,  the boys no longer fight over cookies or milks. They spar instead, fighting about everything and  anything remotely suggestive of higher superiority over the other. The scuffles are with no incentives, but the boys race as if it their lives were on the line.

Seokjin is terrified of them. His troubles are being voiced out much more prominently now. He joins meeting in his own discretion and fires out as many opinions as he can -just to ease the pacing of pressure being put upon them. And now with the inclusion of Jungkook's name in their political conversations, Seokjin is growing more and more steadfast in his opposition.

"We're just kids!" He stomps the ground with a solemn stare.

Master Bang only looks back with an unreadable expression.

"But not forever." He reminds them.

Seokjin only growls and sulks in his seat. There's only a few things his 13 year old mind could supply, so he lets the elders take over.

-

"Kookie?"

Hoseok's voice is hoarse, neck popping veins and throat bobbing in desperation.

At the mention of his name, Jungkook pops out from behind the bed post. His hands clench above the wooden footboard.

"Are you okay?" The young boy asks.

"I'm fine, just tired."

"Do you need water?"

"No, I had one earlier."

"Oh, okay."

Pause. They both pause with uncertainty. But the silence is not as ugly, if anything it was comforting.

"Kookie?" It's Hoseok who starts. Jungkook responds with the tilt of his head. "Sing for me?"

Jungkook is flustered at the request. He stammers in embarrassment and shyly ducks his head out of the older's sight. It's only when Hoseok pleads with a desperate stare, bearing a look he could not comprehend, that Jungkook finally concedes.