chapter two

Five years later

Five years later

"Mr. Watts, your son isn't paying attention in my class. He's constantly bothering the other children, and he's becoming a nuisance to deal with." Ms. Patrick, the kindergarten teacher, told Daniel with her arms crossed and a look of aggravation gracing her face.

Daniel rubbed his forehead and took a death breath. He wanted to raise his voice at the teacher, but he wouldn't. "Ms. Patrick, I will not tolerate you calling my son a 'nuisance.' He's a five-year-old. Of course, he won't want to pay attention in class." Ms. Patrick raised her brow and began to open her mouth, but Daniel gave her a look that said, "shut up,"

"Quite frankly, if you don't have a heart for children, no matter their behavior, you shouldn't be teaching them. You won't be dealing with my 'nuisance' of a son anymore. Have a nice day." Daniel sighed in annoyance and walked into the classroom to get his son.

Grant was packing up his backpack when he heard his daddy's voice. "Daddy, we can leave!" Daniel picked his son up, grabbed his bag, and left the school.

"Daddy, why aren't you happy today? Don't be sad, please," Grant didn't like it when his daddy wasn't excited about everything. It made him feel upset and sad.

Daniel sighed and forced a smile. "Daddy's fine, Grant. I was just thinking about some things. Of course, I was thinking of telling you after we get McDonald's chicken nuggets. How does that sound?" Daniel knew how emotionally distraught his son could get at times, so he always tried to keep his negative emotions under wraps.

Grant cheered in excitement at the joyful news of chicken nuggets. Thankfully all bad moods were long forgotten.

Daniel carried Grant in one arm and held the McDonald's bag in the other. The door opened to reveal Gloria, his friend and babysitter. She usually picked Gianna up from school and watched her for an hour or until Daniel arrived home with Grant.

"How was Gianna? Any problems I should know about?" Daniel was extremely grateful for Gloria. Her work schedule allowed her to be home in time to get Gianna from school.

Gloria waved her hand and gave a soft and thoughtful smile. "She was angelic, as usual. I can tell there's something on your mind,"

Daniel laid the sleeping Grant on the couch next to Gianna and rubbed his forehead. "His teacher told me he's a nuisance and a distraction in his class. I'm pulling him from that school. It's the third preschool this year."

Gloria wrapped her arms around Daniel, she saw him as a son, and right now, he needed love. "Daniel, I understand that it's hard, but I'm going to ask you to trust God. You may need to pull Grant out of school altogether. Maybe even get a tutor to school him at home."

"I-i don't know. While it sounds like a good idea, I don't know where to look." Daniel sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

Gloria smiled and squeezed his shoulder. "Don't worry about finding someone. I know just the place to search!" She knew that hiring some help would improve Daniel's and the kid's life.