chapter sixteen

Her heart rate had yet to calm down

Her heart rate had yet to calm down. She had been driving for forty-five minutes and she couldn't get over what had happened at the house.

She was on cloud nine and she had yet to come down.

Two hours came and went with the soulful voice of Bruno Major playing in the background. She turned into the hospital parking lot and rushed to the reception desk.

"Hi, I'm, uh looking for Skylar Williams," Tyra brushed her hair away from her eyes and waited for the lady to respond.

The lady held up her finger and typed in his name. "He was brought in earlier today, he's in the ICU room #514," She said and Tyra nodded.

"Thank you," She murmured and walked to the elevator.

She hoped and prayed that her grandfather would be okay. He had to be.

"His life is in Your hands, Father," She prayed.

Her hands shook as the reality of her grandfather's situation hit her. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. She counted down to calm her breathing.

She was horrified and she had no one to lean on.

The elevator dinged and she walked out. Her nose scrunched up at the smell of the disinfectant spray. Hospitals were the worst place in the world, no matter what the outcome of the visit, she always hated them.

"Tyra? Is that you?" She heard her grammy's voice and turned to find her.

Her eyes filled with tears as she looked at her grammy. She missed her more than she thought.

"Grammy," She whispered and ran into her arms. "I--I've missed you so much," She cried and squeezed her grammy's waist.

Grammy held her close and rubbed her back. "It's alright, don't cry. Grammy's gotcha," She cooed and rocked her granddaughter.

"Is he okay?" Tyra asked her voice muffled by her grammy's hair.

Grammy nodded and kissed her cheek. "You know Skylar, he's resilient. It was just a bump on his head," She said dismissively.

"That makes everything better," Tyra sighed and enjoyed the comfort of her grammy's arms.

A doctor exited Skylar's room and hung his clipboard on the door. "Mrs. Williams, your husband is recovering very well and we're moving him to the second floor," He explained and Tyra's heart jumped with joy.

She gripped her grammy's hand and they walked to her grandfather's room.

"Hey, paw paw! You look so good," She gushed as she admired her half-asleep grandfather.

Skylar sat up and smiled at her. "Is that my little girl? Why'd you come all the way over here to see your old pop?" He asked playfully.

Tyra sat on the bed next to him and hugged him the best that she could. "I missed you so much! How are you feeling?"